Video of chicken with defect. Does anybody recognize the problem?

PBlanck

Chirping
11 Years
Oct 8, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Our hens hatched some chicks back in April. Early on one of them had a noticeable limp to her walk. Now that they are 3 month olds it is very noticeable.

She quit sleeping on the roost 6-8 weeks ago and sleeps under some boards in the coop.

Please watch this video and let me know if you have seen anything like it. Is it a handicap that she can live with or is it a disease that will progressively get worse until she dies?

Thanks for helping.

Paul

these symptoms usually come from unfavorable conditions in the incubator. im not sure of any methods to fix it, but the others will pick on her a lot more because of it. i would separate her from the rest of them. i wouldn't put a roost in for her.

you may be able to splint it, but ive only seen it done on chicks.

she may get better. i have my fingers crossed for you
fl.gif

Can I just add don't seperate her unless you plan to do it permanently. If you take her out for a few days then put her back she will be much more picked on after than she is now.

Actually you don't mention her being picked on so if she isn't getting any worse than the regular bottom of the pecking order I'd leave her where she is. Just keep an eye that she is getting enough food and not being excluded from it by the others.

Thanks for the feedback!

Nobody is picking on her, so no issues there.

I was just wondering if anybody on here would recognize her problem. If it is permanent, I am OK with it as she seems to have learned how to cope. But if it degenerative then I would have to consider putting her out of her misery before it gets any worse.

Thanks for the feedback!

Nobody is picking on her, so no issues there.

I was just wondering if anybody on here would recognize her problem. If it is permanent, I am OK with it as she seems to have learned how to cope. But if it degenerative then I would have to consider putting her out of her misery before it gets any worse.

Back
Top Bottom