Vitamin D Help for Hen

CindyK75

Chirping
Apr 3, 2021
Sealy, Texas
I have a Buff Orpington, little over 2 yrs old. Between last years almost heat stroke (I saved her) and my late rooster making her go bald on her back---and trying to regrow those feathers AND lay eggs---well, I've been dealing with thin eggshells from her for months now. I've given her calcium + D3 pills and the shells get harder and don't break when she lays them but still real thin when I go to crack them. If I stop the pills and/or give her one every few days, I'll find a broken shell in nest box. I do have 3 kinds of calcium (including their own shells heated and crushed) out & available and layer feed has calcium. Her shells are rough feeling and not shiny and smooth but no calcium deposits but just sorta like sandpaper and dry looking. I understand that getting heat stress can deplete calcium, but something is missing. I've seen her only eat the crushed eggshells. In this HOT Texas heat wave, so I'm also giving electrolytes to prevent heat stress.

I started giving liquid calcium supplement for chickens & turkeys in water twice a week, I've given poultry cell few times a week....so the only thing is left is maybe vitamin d. I bought cod liver oil and drizzled over some feed a few times a week, for a month- no help. They have sun in their yard and also they free range in the evenings. I have 2 other older hens her age and 8 young hens that just started laying. This Buff is the only one with shell issues.

What vitamin d supplement do I use? how much do I use, how often?

Thanks for the help!

Is she the only one with weak shells?
Ya know, sometimes you just get a bird that is not up to snuff anatomically and no amount or type of supplements will 'fix' it.
I would say she is, the other 2 older hens eggs are stronger, not store bought strong but never had an issue with broken eggs in the nest with them. The newer layers eggs are small at the moment but really strong shells. She was fine when she started laying, quality went down after the two incidents with almost heat stroke and feather loss from my rooster.

I too, think this is genetic. I am assuming all the hens are receiving the same diet. If their eggs are different, due to genetics. I do not see a long term adjustment. The feathers on the back really do not influence shell quality.

I think she is a poor doer. A rancher term for animals that fail to really thrive. I think it might be more her feathers than the roosters fault.

I too, think this is genetic. I am assuming all the hens are receiving the same diet. If their eggs are different, due to genetics. I do not see a long term adjustment. The feathers on the back really do not influence shell quality.

I think she is a poor doer. A rancher term for animals that fail to really thrive. I think it might be more her feathers than the roosters fault.
Yeah they all eat the same. My rooster passed away last October, so she has grown back all those missing feathers (from him mounting her so much) with the last molt. She was his favorite hen. I think she is not getting enough of a certain vitamin, or really low or not utilizing the calcium well. I'm going to keep up with the calcium pill with d3, it makes her shells not break in the nest and I still get to eat them!

That's it, no treats or other foods?
I cut off scratch during hot months. Bsf grubs handful here and there (no bugs right now, drought conditions), 1 frozen watermelon (small) slice a day, few handfuls of frozen chopped grapes floating in ice cube water few times a week or 1 frozen water block (daily) made with cucumbers, few grubs, few blueberries, few strawberries, squash, tomatoes, chopped mint thrown in. Split between 11 hens. It's 103° -104° here lately so frozen fruit & veggies are a welcome thing right now. Plus electrolytes in water.

Back
Top Bottom