Vitamin D3 supplement for 8 week old lame chick, help!

RooRoo523

Chirping
Jun 27, 2023
East Tennessee
I am new to chickens and I have a chicken that is sitting on its tail with feet propped out front. I suspect a vitamin D deficiency. I also have done some reading on Marek's. I want to start with vitamins. I want to feed her a hard boiled egg yolk with 1/2 crushed tablet of B complex, 1 400 IU of vitamin E and a vitamin D supplement. I also have some sav-a-chick that I can mix up in her water.

My question is can I use Vitamin D3 gel cap that is 50 mcg (2000 IU)? I do not have any polyvisol atm, and it will be at least 2 days before I can get ordered. I am feeding chick starter, Nutrena Naturewise, and they get strawberries, cucumbers, meal worms, and occasional green bell peppers. Any other suggestions?

Do you have any pictures? Can you tell us how old the chicken is? Vitamin D deficiency is not common if they are eating a balanced chick starter grower or age appropriate feed. I would stop the cucumbers, strawberries, and green pepper. Mealworms should be limited. A bit of egg is fine. Try moistening some of the chick feed with water, but also offer the dry.

B complex vitamins are great, since riboflavin (B2) deficiency can be a problem. They are hard to overdose since they are water soluble. Could the chicken have been injured by a rooster? Are both legs and feet able to move and toes grasping your finger?

Do you have any pictures? Can you tell us how old the chicken is? Vitamin D deficiency is not common if they are eating a balanced chick starter grower or age appropriate feed. I would stop the cucumbers, strawberries, and green pepper. Mealworms should be limited. A bit of egg is fine. Try moistening some of the chick feed with water, but also offer the dry.

B complex vitamins are great, since riboflavin (B2) deficiency can be a problem. They are hard to overdose since they are water soluble. Could the chicken have been injured by a rooster? Are both legs and feet able to move and toes grasping your finger?
I do not have any pictures today, I will try and get some posted tomorrow. She is 8 weeks old today. She has been inside in a very large brooder in my basement with the rest of the flock, there is one rooster and 11 other girls. I suspected a Vitamin D deficiency since no real true sunlight except for what comes through the French doors. I have stopped everything except for the chick starter/grower. A friend brought me some Rooster Booster VITAMINS & ELECTROLYTES W/ LACTOBACILLUS and suggested I try it. I put some of the powder in her water.

I did not give her the egg, Vitamin E, or B complex. Should I give her the B complex with the Rooster Booster? I do not think she was injured by any others, but it is a possibility. She does stand and walk about 1 1/2 to 2 feet and then will sit down again, she is eating some and drinking a bit. It was late before I was able to give the rooster booster so I will have to wait until tomorrow to see. She is in the lower pecking order because she sleeps on the pine shavings on the brooder floor with several of the other girls snuggled around her.

Tomorrow I plan to buy a crate and separate her from the others so I can feed her some egg and see how much she is eating and drinking exactly. I thought chickens were supposed to be easy, lol.:idunno

Back
Top Bottom