Viva Las Vegas!

We recently got a couple of sweet adorable Black Silkie Roosters from a great lady here in Vegas (sort of). One of them scooted out of their pen when I went in to check for eggs (we keep them in a separate pen so they don't get picked on by the big chickens.

Next thing I know that "sweet" little silkie had made a beeline for the biggest rooster he could see and the fight was on!

Funny! Sounds like you ought to name him Napoleon...another "little" man that thought he could take on anything, and did!

My broody is still determined. She is sitting on 2 wooden eggs and is not confined in anyway so I think she can wait for eggs. Just a few would do...like 3 - 4.

I know it's late, but I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving Day! We've eaten turkey for 4 days straight!

so is everyones birds liking this winter so far my girls are really happy and yesterday I cut off over 25 bell peppers from my plant and have about 100 more growing I was worried about this coming monday as one new said we were going to droop down to 30 over night scard the girls would not be used to it but now they changed that again.

So the next breed of chickens I want are 2 of each
Silver Laced Wyandotte and Ameraucana
but after being on this site and other chicken sites scard to bring in even baby chicks cuz you dont know what they are carriers of and even if you keep them away from my girls (who are 100% loved pets and members of my family) they may not show sickness at all but can kill your flock you already have.

I am not looking to have new birds till spring or even later I am in no big hurry but dose anyone in Vegas on this site breed these breeds who know what there flock are carriers of?

I don't breed. I am looking, quite desperately, for some eggs to put under my very persistent broody. She just won't break on her own. She gets off for scratch/boss, food, and water every day but spends all the rest of the time on two worn out wooden eggs. I'd even put some chicks under her at this point but can't find any newly hatched in town. AARGH!

On a happier note. I am getting eggs from the chicks hatched out of Max and Holly's hen's eggs. They are a beautiful range of olive green. 2/3 have laid and the hold out was in a nest today so.....! Yay!

My egg production had been highly variable all summer and has dropped to abysmal now what with the shorter days and the molt but I had also been finding shells indicating and egg eater. I tried every trick I could think of and had thought a time or two that I had caught the culprit and isolated her only to end up getting lots of eggs from the suspect while in the isolation pen. My buddy Hoss loaned me a game cam and was very surprised by what I found.

So here's the run down of my new layers.

These 3 pullets are full-blooded sisters. (BlCM father X Beardless EE mother) They all lay a light greenish/blue egg. The Blue Copper Marans genes were basically dominated by the blue genes of the mother. I was sad, but at least they are beautiful birds.

Gidget Picasso Jilly

2 Dark Cornish and 1 Naked Neck I bought as chicks at the feed store for my broodies. The DC are on the small side and the NN is huge. They each lay a light brown egg.

Lowenna Morwenna Sylvia

These are the girls I hatched out of eggs I got from Max and Holly. The first 2 have feathered legs though the middle one's is very sparse. The last has no leg feathers at all. They are laying olive green eggs.

Delilah Vivienne Kipling

The Splash Marans girl is the only chick I hatched out of eggs from ke_ben this year. The Delaware I bought at the feedstore for her broody mom that felt one chick was a rip off and was trying to steal chicks from another hen. The Marans egg is dark brown and the Del's egg is light brown.

Wanda Magnolia

I have a few more in the line up. I will introduce them after they start laying. So far, so good!

Last edited:
My egg production had been highly variable all summer and has dropped to abysmal now what with the shorter days and the molt but I had also been finding shells indicating and egg eater. I tried every trick I could think of and had thought a time or two that I had caught the culprit and isolated her only to end up getting lots of eggs from the suspect while in the isolation pen. My buddy Hoss loaned me a game cam and was very surprised by what I found.

That is amazing. I never would have suspected a cat. It looks like it checked all the nests too. I have a cat trap if you need to borrow one. We had a huge feral cat problem in our neighborhood several years ago due to a drug house a few houses down. We are talking huge. Animal control rounded up in excess of 30 cats and we personally trapped about 10 or 12. They were sooo bold. They would come right in the house through the dog door and eat the dog food and wander the house looking for grub. It was crazy. Every time we'd call animal control to come pick up another cat, they'd say, "Oh yeah, I remember your neighborhood."

I'm getting about 10 eggs a day now, more or less. I'd be happy to give you some, especially if you have 2-3 of yours I could stick under my broody. I don't care if they're pure or not, they just need to be fertile.

Back
Top Bottom