Viva Las Vegas!

Happy Holidays back atcha!

I've been traveling hither and yon and haven't been able to do much more than an occasional look-n-lurk. Glad to be back home now, even if it means coming home two a couple of busted sink/faucet connector hoses/pipes. (Now, who turned off the heat in the house before they left???? Sigh....) Guess I've got a New Year's project in order!

Hope everybody's Christmas was merry and bright!

Hello Everybody! Happy New Year!

Jeff here from North Las Vegas (round MLK and Craig).

When I was a child growing up in suburban SoCal we had a couple of hens and a rooster. I didn’t really think too much of them. I remember stepping barefoot in poo all the time and the rooster chasing and attacking my sister a number of times.

Flash forward to a sunny afternoon last September.

Having decided I wanted to grow my own veggies I started construction on a raised bed in my backyard. After working for a little while I notice what I think is an ugly little pigeon over in the corner, hiding under some stuff.

When I broke for lunch I grabbed a couple of tortillas to feed the evidently sick pigeon who was cowering in the corner of my yard. Of course this was no pigeon, but a young chicken that had found its way into my yard. The little chicky was more than happy to eat the bits of tortilla, so long as I was a good distance away.

The chicken decided it liked our yard…. It decided to sleep in one of our trees…. We bought some feed….

All was well for a time.

Then came the hail storm….

We received a couple of doses of hail here in NLV back at the end of October. It pummeled my veggies, tearing chunks out of many of them. The slowly growing chicky happily snacked on the fragments of leaves scattered through my planter.

I can almost imagine a light bulb appeared over that chickens head (though she would have run from it)!

My plants were no longer safe!

So now we have a coup, a small run, and a very resentful, skittish chicken!

We think she (we think), came from a house several blocks from us. We occasionally hear chickens from that direction.

I am eagerly awaiting spring so I can pick up a couple of chicks or pullets to add to our now singular flock.
Here are some pics.

Any help identifying the breed would be most excellent! She is quite small but growing slowly. As far as age, she’s at least 3 ½ months old.

Hello Everybody! Happy New Year!

Jeff here from North Las Vegas (round MLK and Craig).

When I was a child growing up in suburban SoCal we had a couple of hens and a rooster. I didn’t really think too much of them. I remember stepping barefoot in poo all the time and the rooster chasing and attacking my sister a number of times.

Flash forward to a sunny afternoon last September.

Having decided I wanted to grow my own veggies I started construction on a raised bed in my backyard. After working for a little while I notice what I think is an ugly little pigeon over in the corner, hiding under some stuff.

When I broke for lunch I grabbed a couple of tortillas to feed the evidently sick pigeon who was cowering in the corner of my yard. Of course this was no pigeon, but a young chicken that had found its way into my yard. The little chicky was more than happy to eat the bits of tortilla, so long as I was a good distance away.

The chicken decided it liked our yard…. It decided to sleep in one of our trees…. We bought some feed….

All was well for a time.

Then came the hail storm….

We received a couple of doses of hail here in NLV back at the end of October. It pummeled my veggies, tearing chunks out of many of them. The slowly growing chicky happily snacked on the fragments of leaves scattered through my planter.

I can almost imagine a light bulb appeared over that chickens head (though she would have run from it)!

My plants were no longer safe!

So now we have a coup, a small run, and a very resentful, skittish chicken!

We think she (we think), came from a house several blocks from us. We occasionally hear chickens from that direction.

I am eagerly awaiting spring so I can pick up a couple of chicks or pullets to add to our now singular flock.
Here are some pics.

Any help identifying the breed would be most excellent! She is quite small but growing slowly. As far as age, she’s at least 3 ½ months old.

you have a very nice set up but i have to ask what your plans are for the run and coop come July and Aug our heat will kill chickens out hear faster then anything. I love your story though the chick chose you dont you just love having chickes. but watch out for the chicken math some suffer from :)

you have a very nice set up but i have to ask what your plans are for the run and coop come July and Aug our heat will kill chickens out hear faster then anything. I love your story though the chick chose you dont you just love having chickes. but watch out for the chicken math some suffer from :)
This is just a temporary set up. We are going to be moving some time this year. When we do, I would like to set up a larger run more secure run with some shade and plants. If we are still here when the heat rolls in, this setup moves easily. I have a pretty shady spot I can move them to.

The heat has almost killed me a couple of times over the years!

Do you need to bring them in during the summer or will shade and maybe some misters suffice?

I am enjoying having a chick, even though she hates me! As I said we are looking forward to getting 2 or 3 more in the spring.

In for a penny in for a pound, right?

Hey, Jeff--

I was looking through a couple of chicken catalogs before chucking them (New Year's resolution on being more tidy) and came across a picture that very closely resembles your bird, so I will slightly revise my guess as to her lineage as being a black Japanese bantam. Does she weigh about 22 oz?

Cute bird nonetheless.

Regarding your birds-in-hot-weather concerns, there's lots of information in BYC if you do a search for info. Shade is a must! Cool water. A wading pan. Frozen watermelon. Lots of information abounds as to what to do to make your birds more comfortable (besides moving them indoors)

Back
Top Bottom