Viva Las Vegas!

for Vegas heat lots and lots of shade and fresh water make sure afternoon sun in NOT hiting them I almost lost my buff orphtingon twice this last summer from the heat once they found there fav spot under the bushes that has water in constantly from swamp cooler they all did a lot better but even then in the heat of the day all 4 of my birds used my doggys door came in side laid down on dog bed where fan was blowing on them would be there from about noon till 4pm. I also had a mister in the run they did not care for that but had no prob with the sprinker turning on and cooling off. I also have the air from the swam cooler from my bed room go into the coop (its right up agist my windo with a vemt from my windo into there coop I also use a small fan in the coop.

Hey, Jeff--

I was looking through a couple of chicken catalogs before chucking them (New Year's resolution on being more tidy) and came across a picture that very closely resembles your bird, so I will slightly revise my guess as to her lineage as being a black Japanese bantam. Does she weigh about 22 oz?

Cute bird nonetheless.

Regarding your birds-in-hot-weather concerns, there's lots of information in BYC if you do a search for info. Shade is a must! Cool water. A wading pan. Frozen watermelon. Lots of information abounds as to what to do to make your birds more comfortable (besides moving them indoors)
Thanks for the info.

Weight? I can't get anywhere near that chicken much less catch it!

ok so I exaggerate.... I could probably catch her if I had to, but she does everything in her power to stay WELL away from me and I don't really like terrifying the poor thing.....

welcome-byc.gif
JTKodama and primitivemommy! So glad to have you join us! We are a rather small group really spread out over the valley but it's so fun to have local people to talk chicken with! I think that Peep_Show is right on track with the guesses she made. I have a hen I acquired in a similar way. It was a friend's yard she showed up in with her chicks.
What kind of chickens do you have so far primitivemommy? I see a couple cute chickies in your photo there. Oh, and good info on surviving summer weather. These guys know what they're talking about.
Max....good luck with all those beautiful boys.
th.gif

Peep_Show...sorry to hear about the plumbing trouble. We've struggled with plenty of those particular problems in the yard here in the past few years so I feel your pain!

The holidays were great! I had a very busy time with tons of family. I guess I really over did it or something cuz the day after they all left I got sick. Tonsillitis is no fun, but at least I have an excuse to sleep, read, watch tv and spend time with the girls....and rest. The doctor said I should wait until Friday to go back to work so I have a few more days to let the antibiotics do their job before I go do mine.

Egg production is finally picking up a bit. I've been kinda disappointed regarding the EE's I bought this last year. I think all four are laying brown eggs. Not completely sure but it seems to be. Those were all hatchery/feedstore chicks. It's weird because I went 3 different stores. Also I got my first boy from the feedstore this year. My olive eggers I hatched out of eggs from Max and Holly are awesome though. I see a few straggler hens are molting including my 3 hens that turned 1 year old on new years day. Thanks again Peep_Show! I think I finally have broken all the ill-timed broodies. After the one that lasted almost 3 months there were 2 others that gave it a shot.

I have big plans for my run this year. I'm trying to find some cattle panels locally. So far, if I can't get Lowe's to special order them I may be out of luck...or have a nightmare scenario trying to get them delivered from the new Cal's Ranch in St. George. I heard that they are trying to get a location here in Las Vegas soon. That would be so great. I love having more choices in feedstores. I just realized I really need to get my ideas in photos so you can see what I'm up to.
roll.png

I also need to get some seeds started for the garden. I was so bummed when the frost got my 4 remaining tomato plants. My bucket garden was quite successful last year. I just need to start earlier. I also want to get some mulch for the chicken coop and garden area.

Last edited:
De nada! It was my pleasure hatching them out and I was thrilled they went to a good home (or camp depending on gender). When I had horses and goats, I thought delivering the babies was the best part of the business. Could it be I was a midwife in a past life? Who knows? It's just a niche I enjoy.

I was sad to have missed out on this year's NYD Hatch Contests, but I was hither and yon which makes for poor incubator maintenance. I still have the itch, though.....

Yay!!! Hi everyone! I love the Nevada thread but I agree, it's great to connect with people in Vegas! I am in the Northwest. We have land with 10 gorgeous geese-Chinese Swan, Africans, Chinese, etc-' silkies, other bantams, naked necks, Americaunas, Rhode Island reds, and we also have 9 little 1/2 bantam 1/2 Americauna chicks that hatched two weeks ago. I have tons of pics on my gooseville profile page I'd love for you to see. I can't get anything to post here other than links to my pics though. Anyone know how to paste them from an iPad directly to post?

Yay!!! Hi everyone! I love the Nevada thread but I agree, it's great to connect with people in Vegas! I am in the Northwest. We have land with 10 gorgeous geese-Chinese Swan, Africans, Chinese, etc-' silkies, other bantams, naked necks, Americaunas, Rhode Island reds, and we also have 9 little 1/2 bantam 1/2 Americauna chicks that hatched two weeks ago. I have tons of pics on my gooseville profile page I'd love for you to see. I can't get anything to post here other than links to my pics though. Anyone know how to paste them from an iPad directly to post?

Gooseville - Welcome to the LV thread!!! So glad to meet another "fowl" person! LOL!!! You should be able to click on the insert image tab located between the insert video tabs and the redo/undo buttons at the top of the text box. From there you can upload or insert previously uploaded photos. Hope that helps! I think your birds look great. Wish I knew the difference between the geese...which is what and so forth. Anyways....welcome!

Last edited:
Apparently my Rooster Reduction program is having some effect. It seems like months since I had gotten any eggs but hopefully the girls are back on track!

Yay! Way to go. That's a pretty good return on your extra boys. I read your blog. Really enjoyed all the photos and the whole story. I too would like to see photos of all your breeds. I need to get some photos of my newer girls and eggs up too. I am getting about 8 - 11 eggs a day now. Up from about 6 eggs daily for the last month or so. I still have, or rather ... now have, about 5 hens molting. I think the molting is going to never quit. I clean the excess feathers out and then notice yet another hen molting. This is what I get for hatching almost all year last year. At least I don't have any broodies ... yet! I too need to finish out the circle. My list is growing daily. Camp Kenmore awaits!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom