Viva Las Vegas!

Very good to know! Thank you! What wormer do you use and how often?
I bought one of those pecking blocks and put it in their run just to give them something else to occupy their time. When i unwrapped it half of it crumbled and just looks like a pile of wild bird seed. They seem to like it well enough but i was wondering if its just laying there in a heap and too easy for them to get, should i clean it up? Not sure if it is as good as their regular feed. Though after reading some threads on feed the purina i bought may not be the best stuff anyways, someone mentioned it was lacking protien. Ill check the ingredients later. What feed do you all give to your pullets that you can get around town?

Yes, they are crested, I love their little "hats". I really enjoy them as a backyard breed. They are very curious and terrific foragers. The rooster is extremely docile and the hens are pretty mellow and easy to catch (surprising with the smaller breeds). Here is a pic of my roo and some of his ladies! They were hatched in June and have been laying for about a month and a half now!

Here is a pic of the hens; the one on the right has the smallest crest of the flock. The others weren't cooperating with me :) I will try to get some better pictures and post those.

I will hopefully be hatching some this spring so definitely let me know if you are interested! And yes that was my blue roo in CL....I had no idea that the ad was still on thanks for letting me know!

I added 3 blue orp hens (daughters of my hens) to my blue flock, also born in june, and they aren't laying yet either. The larger breeds tend to take much longer to start laying; hang in there! I'm thinking any day!

Very good to know! Thank you! What wormer do you use and how often?
I bought one of those pecking blocks and put it in their run just to give them something else to occupy their time. When i unwrapped it half of it crumbled and just looks like a pile of wild bird seed. They seem to like it well enough but i was wondering if its just laying there in a heap and too easy for them to get, should i clean it up? Not sure if it is as good as their regular feed. Though after reading some threads on feed the purina i bought may not be the best stuff anyways, someone mentioned it was lacking protien. Ill check the ingredients later. What feed do you all give to your pullets that you can get around town?

Well, good questions!!! I use Valbazan which I got online because (from what I understand) it doesn't contain ingredient used in human medication and therefore you don't have to throw out "medicated" eggs but can still keep using them. It is also administered directly, either orally (on a piece of bread they eat) or as a shot. I use it 2 times a year. It works for me. Winter is a good time cause they often don't lay much then anyways due to shorter days/less sunlight.

Feed, I use AllFlock from CAL Ranch. It is a bit higher in protein but has no calcium added. This is good for birds that are too young to lay. I offer free choice oyster shell all the time for the layers. They will start showing interest in the oyster shell when they get ready to lay. It's what works for me. I also give them black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) a good source of protein and only give them scratch in winter or when it's cold because it raises their body temperature which they definitely don't need in the heat here! I also give them scraps, leaves, weeds, extra fruit and even eggs I don't want to eat. I also use a trigger feeder which really lessens feed waste and gives them something to do all the time! I'm sure I posted pictures on this thread in the past of the trigger feeder. It's awesome. I also ferment feed for them.

Yes, they are crested, I love their little "hats". I really enjoy them as a backyard breed. They are very curious and terrific foragers. The rooster is extremely docile and the hens are pretty mellow and easy to catch (surprising with the smaller breeds). Here is a pic of my roo and some of his ladies! They were hatched in June and have been laying for about a month and a half now!

I will hopefully be hatching some this spring so definitely let me know if you are interested! And yes that was my blue roo in CL....I had no idea that the ad was still on thanks for letting me know!
Yay! I love the look of them and I definitely want some this spring. I usually have several that go broody so I could use hatching eggs or just surprise them with hatched out chicks one night. I may also be interested in a blue or splash marans this spring.

I have two australorps that were hatched in June and still arent laying. :(
Tumbleweed is right about the bigger breeds. I also have some Marans that were hatched June-ish that are not laying .... yet. They will lay soon. It's just winter and no one can get done what they'd like with so little sunlight. You could put a light on in the run to come on earlier than the sun comes up to "extend the day" so to say. It does work. I like to let the girls have a bit of a rest. I usually have a few that keep on laying but the store bought eggs just make me savor my girls eggs all the more.

Last edited:
Looking for a sweater for my Helen who has lost most of her down from molting. She has been shivering so she needed something. IF you have a sweater I can buy from you or you can make one within the next couple of days that will allow her to use her wings, please let me know asap.

May be moving to Reno in the next 3 months. Suggestions on where to look to live where I can have my chickens?
You should post this and the previous post on the Nevada thread HERE. There are lots of great chicken folks up that way that will be happy to help you out. Good luck with you cold chicken. Maybe you can feed her some warm oatmeal and scratch to heat up her insides.

I am doing a favor for a friend. He has a 4 year old dwarf pygmy female goat that he can no longer keep. Her name is Dorothy and she is only about a foot tall. In order to milk her you would need to breed her but ke_ben has several of these wonderful animals that he breeds and would probably be a great source for that. My friend is at the point of putting her on CL but doesn't want her to be eaten so is at the end of his rope. If you could give Dorothy a good home, he will be happy to gift her to you at no charge and will throw in the food he still has for her as part of the deal. I asked him to give me a week before he lists her on Craigslist. Please let your friends know about her too!!

personalfowl - I have had chickens for six years in Vegas and have never wormed. I know that vegaschick is very knowledgeable but I just wanted to throw out another option. I've also never noticed worms in their poop. I think the worming program varies from yard to yard and is effected by your location in lv. About a year ago I started mixing DE into their feed at about a 1:10 ratio so that probably helps, but like I said, never had worms before. Another option for worming would be an herbal wormer. I am a huge fan of Silver Lining herbs for dogs and horses (if you've never heard of them, check out their site, they are awesome) and I've used their products on my flock as well. They have a great wormer for horses that would work for your flock, just mix a little into their feed for 10 days every month or so (you could skip the cold months). The wormer helps to create an uninhabitable environment within the animals, so if you do have a problem with worms, prepare to see them in your chickens poop! Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom