Vocal chicken

It does sound and look like some type of respiratory issue - extending the neck to breath.

If she is doing this mostly at night, then I would suspect Infectious Bronchitis (IB), but there are several respiratory illnesses that can sound like this.
You may want to separate her and offer some extra poultry vitamins in her water. Supportive care can include something like VetRx. Antibiotics like Tylan50 or Oxytetracycline may help with any secondary infections, but usually with IB they are not that effective.

Look for any other signs of illness like discharge from the eye/nose or facial swelling.

Here's more information on common poultry diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Is it at night? It looks like she may be making that noise when breathing, which would not be normal. Does she do this all the time?

I just noticed it the day I took that video. It was towards sunset and when dark. I'll pay attention over the next few days to see if she does it at night.

It does sound and look like some type of respiratory issue - extending the neck to breath.

If she is doing this mostly at night, then I would suspect Infectious Bronchitis (IB), but there are several respiratory illnesses that can sound like this.
You may want to separate her and offer some extra poultry vitamins in her water. Supportive care can include something like VetRx. Antibiotics like Tylan50 or Oxytetracycline may help with any secondary infections, but usually with IB they are not that effective.

Look for any other signs of illness like discharge from the eye/nose or facial swelling.

Here's more information on common poultry diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you. I will take a look and see what I can observe. We do have VetRx handy. :)

Hi all,

Attached are three photos.

Photo 1 - Chicken with muff. I believe this is the one making the noise. I have not noticed it since then, but I have also not been around their field as much recently.

Photo 2 - A similar looking chicken without the muff. It may have been her, but I'm pretty sure it was the one with the muff.

Photo 3 - Both side by side.

Any help identifying the two breeds would be VERY helpful. I have a theory, but I'd love to hear anyone else's first.

Thanks!

Also, we have over 10 chickens of each bread. So those photos are not the exact chicken I believe it making the noise.

Yup - Easter Eggers hens/pullets. A good time to listen to their breathing is when they're in the coop at night and quiet. Hopefully, she's recovered if there was a problem.

I'll try to snatch a picture of the one making the sound. Hopefully it happens again soon.

In regard to the 2nd breed, there's no chance it's a Welsummer?

No Welsummer in any of those pictures. Both ones you mentioned are easter eggers. You should get some lovely eggs! My mom has an ee who was making that same sound this summer. Turns out, she hurt her neck, probably sticking her head somewhere she shouldn't. It went away after a week. There wasn't anything we could do other than let her heal. Check for infectious diseases but the sounds just like a neck injury. Oh, and those are both pullets. A cockrel would have a larger, redder comb by now (even in pea comed birds) and pointed feathers on the neck and tail. Your ladies have nice rounded feathers.

Back
Top Bottom