voice box removal

Study up on canonizing a rooster. Maybe 40 years ago I read about de-crowing a roo by working from the opposite end that you do when making a capon.
It seems that the instruments were similar. The procedures were somewhat similar and one involves cauterizing the vocal cords and the other the "you know what."

I have never done it.
I have never saw it done.
I don't know anyone who is doing it or anyone who has done it.
And I don't know how well a rooster gets along without his voice.
However in the past I have owned roosters who lost (really almost lost) their voice from injuries.
They never asked me to pay for psychiatric therapy so I guess your roosters too will be fine.

Not sure what City or County you are in, but on such a big piece of land I do not think the neighbors could do anything about the birds. I would check with the local City or County laws and give your landlord some cover and backup. Good luck.

Caponizing a rooster will soften/stop the crowing. But you won't get fertile eggs. My husband didnt want to eat or rehome our barred rock cockeral so he read up on caponizing. It's actually really easy. Our roo is more like a broody hen now.

I'm so confused right now I'm new but that's not what I'm confused about.:idunno my chicks are just 3weeks old and one has the fattest legs ever. She/he is also the fattest one too. And it's my favourite chick. If it's a rooster than we have to get rid of she/he because all of our neighbours work different shifts. So what should I do. Should I get the voice box removed when it's older???????:/:(

I'm so confused right now I'm new but that's not what I'm confused about.
idunno.gif
my chicks are just 3weeks old and one has the fattest legs ever. She/he is also the fattest one too. And it's my favourite chick. If it's a rooster than we have to get rid of she/he because all of our neighbours work different shifts. So what should I do. Should I get the voice box removed when it's older???????
hmm.png
sad.png
Most likely the chick is a cornish x meat bird.
However if it is a rooster, give the rooster away.

There is a vet somewhere that has posted a couple of times on the peafowl forum, trying to see if there is interest. Try doing a search.

Back
Top Bottom