voice box removal

I am a filipino and I fight roosters using long knife, and to tell you guys, birds especially chickens are able to handle pain and they heal easily. Even with broken bones, with deep wounds, they can still breed. Decrowing a rooster is possible, it is just that these people saying it is inhumane, cruel, and gives a lot of bs, are really people who wouldn't want to help, tell the truth, and really don't care about the severity of the situation here in usa. Soon we won't be having battle chickens here, and the balance of nature will be compromize due to the ignorance of these people. Ask them if given a choice should they become chicken what would they want to be, a chicken that goes to kfc, butchered like in hollocost, or fighting chicken, where in to live a royalty life and is able to fight to survive

Let's refresh this topic and get back on the topic of removing the roosters voice-box.

For over 10 years now I've heard of a procedure that’s being done on roosters to quiet them in the flock, I actually think it's a surgical procedure done by a veterinarian that removes their voice box.

#1 do you have any knowledge of this and if so, what’s your personal opinion on this?

#2 if you have any knowledge of this, do you know of any veterinarians in the Indiana that are performing this procedure?

Thanks!

Ok Diamond Randy is right, a chicken can endure what would kill most animals 10 times it's size. I also use to fight birds when it was legal in Ky, and we had several cocks get cut through the throat by gaffs ( lot of people call them swords) but several lost there voice box this way and never miss a meal of eating, some would lose it completely, some reduced to a mere screech. They would go through the motions of crowing but without the sound. So I would not look into removing it but posibly having it punctured this would work like a form of acupuncture. I'm sure a steril needle would be safe all you need to do is study the anatomy and locate the voice box and it would be as easy as giving a shot to him. I have also seen some collars out now that is supposed to work never saw one so I can't elaborate on how well they work it's sorta like a anti bark collar for a dog.

A couple years ago I had two roosters de-crowed. I live on a large property in an unincorporated suburb where my landlord is my neighbor. After my first couple clutches hatched & grew up I was given the edict that I could not have roosters because of the noise. So I sought a work around. The procedure was a success, performed by a specialized vet in Oklahoma. It cost me $175 a bird. I was very happy with the outcome. The birds were bearded Silkies. They had to be overnighted to the clinic in Oklaoma from California, then after the procedure & about a week of recuperation & observation, were overnighted back to me. I was very happy with the results. Unfortunately one of them caught some sort of respiratory infection shortly after coming home. The vet wanted 2k to put him on oxygen therapy & meds and I just couldn't afford it. I paid for the meds & took him home to nurse him as best I could, but he never improved & I lost him a few days later. The other "quiet roo" went on to a very happy life with his girls. His name was Lucky. He went through the motion of crowing but all that came out was a whispery whistling sound. It was kinda cute actually. He looked after the flock & all his girls loved him, they treated him no differently. He had no trouble doing everything a roo does, eating, drinking & mating.

The procedure itself involved making a slit in the larynx so that when the rooster goes to crow air can not be compressed over the vocal chords, it just escapes into the lungs.

For one season I had accomplished my goal. Sadly, all my efforts & investment were dashed later that fall with a mid-day coyote attack that took Lucky, one hen & two ducks :(

Exactly how does one go from feeding their cats/dogs organic raw meat to decrowing a Rooster?

The organic raw meat diet seems all tree huggy and "one with nature"ish...

The decrowing roosters seems anti-naturish and kind of odd. Roosters are meant to crow - their voices do more than just crow - they communicate with their hens in many different ways using their voices. To me, "decrowing" a rooster is about the same as removing a toddler's legs.

Back
Top Bottom