wacky legs

rustychick2000

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2015
day 22 and all of my chicks have hatched but 1. Its in the middle of hatching. The problem is that one of the other chicks that hatched 2 days ago is having leg troubles. One leg appears to favor the chicks head and the other his butt. When he tries to walk his legs twirl.This chick is very lively and shows no sign of sickness. One of his legs is set in a direction that does not permit him to stand. I tried a splint but with no luck. His legs only either slip out or lay back behind him which allows the leg to move into the improper position. I'm not sure what to do and I am in no position to hand feed this chick for the rest of its life. When I moved it into The brooder with the others they merely pulled him around by his toes. Here are some pictures. Any suggestions are needed

I'm doing homework and all I hear is the sound of him falling around in the bat or attempting to get up

Well with no help and sleep quickly approaching I quickly came up with a possible solution. I tied his legs loosely together with a bread tie. Loose enough to allow movement but strong enough to keep them in place. I do not know if this will help. I was afraid to have him moving all night with the little legs so I put him in a loosely fit sock and propped him up in the corner. Update to come tomorrow morning or afternoon. I do hope this chicks makes it. I have since need him legs.

Well i checked on the chick today and he or she was fine other than the fact that the leg is not fixed. His one, properly placed leg, works and he uses it to quickly spin in circles. If anyone could please provide some advice that would be be really helpful. Thank you

The first picture looks to me like a slipped tendon. I have not had to deal with this myself but you can google for it, There is a short video:
Google slipped tendon in chicks or Perosis.

Back
Top Bottom