Waddling hen, laying down, what gives?

Madamegato

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2011
ABQ, NM
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Kiki is a barred rock. She is 2 years, 10 months old. She does not appear lighter or thinner and is actually one of my larger birds.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Kiki prefers to lay down. She will still walk, but her gait is waddling, with her body held partially upright, her tail to the ground, her wings will occasionally droop (which may also be due to her using them to lay down). She still engages in pecking order, will still lay eggs daily, still will run if she feels the need, still has a large appetite, still dust bathes (though does this mostly laying down - no scratching, she'll bill dirt to her), and is still able to hop up on the perch at night.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since about February. It has remained the same with no improvement or worsening.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No. We have 6 others - 3 the same age, 3 younger, and no others have had any problems remotely similar.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She has been eating normally and drinking normally - she eats Embudo Valley Organic Layer and all our vegetarian kitchen scraps.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Outer physical examination, abdominal palpation - could not feel any abnormalities.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I'm hoping someone has knowledge of what this might be. She lays daily, seems to be fine other than her walk. We don't want her to be uncomfortable, and she certainly looks it when she walks, but she's doing EVERYTHING else a normal bird does - including staying with the flock. We are thinking it may be joint issues, but don't really know if hens can have baby aspirin, or if we're better off culling or letting be. We would like to treat ourselves.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I will try to get one tomorrow.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: Free range of 100sf, 15sf coop with straw bedding. Our hens are never locked in for the night, as we live in a place that they don't have to worry about hawks or coyotes.

I appreciate any help that can be given or insight that can be shared. As I said above, she does everything else the other girls do, but just does this walk that is obviously uncomfortable. If we can give her baby aspirin, that might help, but I know some animals can't tolerate that, so we haven't as of yet.

Thanks again, everyone!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom