Waiting for baby chicks

sabrina11

Chirping
Mar 6, 2016
How many days do you think these are?! They all were collected at different times. There are many more these are just some. The second one is completely black besides that place.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hello today is day 21 and I was wondering how long after the first peep will it take for it actually start hatching? It has been 3 hours so far since this peep!
If you have actual pips and not just peeping from inside the shell, it can take up to 24 hours before a chick will transition between pip to zip in which the chick actually hatches. After the pip is made a chick rests, and strengthens it's lungs breathing the outside air and most importantly the vascular system between the egg and chick has to shut down. This can take as little as a few hours or as much as a whole day. Also, if the yolk has not fully absorbed before the pip, that has to happen too for the chick to be fully ready to hatch out. The worst part of hatching is the time between lockdown and that first pip and the time between pip and zip.

If you are just hearing peeping from inside the shell with no external pips, it could take 24 hours before the external pip and then another 24 to zip.

My eggs average 12-18 hours between pip and zip. Sometimes I get chicks that hatch quicker, sometimes later.

If you have actual pips and not just peeping from inside the shell, it can take up to 24 hours before a chick will  transition between pip to zip in which the chick actually hatches. After the pip is made a chick rests, and strengthens it's lungs breathing the outside air and most importantly the vascular system between the egg and chick has to shut down. This can take as little as a few hours or as much as a whole day. Also, if the yolk has not fully absorbed before the pip, that has to happen too for the chick to be fully ready to hatch out. The worst part of hatching is the time between lockdown and that first pip and the time between pip and zip.

If you are just hearing peeping from inside the shell with no external pips, it could take 24 hours before the external pip and then another 24 to zip.

My eggs average 12-18 hours between pip and zip. Sometimes I get chicks that hatch quicker, sometimes later.

Hello this is Sabrina, I'm wondering why my chick is hatching and their is thick stringy blood and the baby is still alive and chirping. What happened?? The other chick helped it dtart hatching. The chick inside the egg doesn't seem in pain. The bleeding has stopped.
[/IMG]

Hello this is Sabrina, I'm wondering why my chick is hatching and their is thick stringy blood and the baby is still alive and chirping. What happened?? The other chick helped it dtart hatching. The chick inside the egg doesn't seem in pain. The bleeding has stopped.
[/URL]
It appears that the vascular system between the chick and egg has not shut down and the veins are still prominent in the membranes. The chick was not ready to hatch and why it did not start a zip yet. Now that that much membrane is exposed before the chick is ready, keep an eye on it to make sure that it does not dry and glue itself to the chick.

It appears that the vascular system between the chick and egg has not shut down and the veins are still prominent in the membranes. The chick was not ready to hatch and why it did not start a zip yet. Now that that much membrane is exposed before the chick is ready, keep an eye on it to make sure that it does not dry and glue itself to the chick.

Thanks it hatched at like 4:30 this morning it's alive and healthy

Back
Top Bottom