waiting on coop to be built.....

Luciene

Hatching
Apr 3, 2016
Hi~ New chick mom here, wondering about wait time before I put down the deposit on a custom built coop. It won't be ready for awhile.....my dozen chicks are currently 2-3 1/2 weeks old, happy in a horse trough with heat lamps, go outside on warm IL days in their 'playpen', but the coop I want to purchase, won't be ready for 2 1/2-3 months. In the meantime, I have a brand new coop purchased thru Tractor Supply Co. made for 6-8 chicks they could go in at night, tho crowded. With chicks being 3-4 months of age before 'bigger' coop is delivered, will this be feasible? I appreciate any advice I can get!

If you have a nice big run in the meantime, it should be fine since we are going into warmer weather. By 3-4 months, your chicks are going to be BIG and might not fit all in the TSC coop, but you could set up something protected from the weather in a run if you had to.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, maybe I could build a 'make-shift' area inside run for protection, these custom built coops are in demand and quite pricey yet I do not have the time nor knowledge to build on myself so waiting for one is the only option.

Back
Top Bottom