Waiting!!! One pip 12 hours ago...

DebbieMarler

Songster
Jul 21, 2022
Northern Arkansas
I hatched chickens in a incubator years ago. I don't ever remember it being this nerve racking.1 pipped this morning And chirped. I came home from work to find nothing has happened. Today was day 21. When should they start hatching?

Also my incubator is an old styrofoam 1. I cannot seem to get the humidity above 43%. Will they hatch this way? I can't find a remedy for the humidity. I bought a nuture right 360 incubator but have not used it yet. Should I get it up and running and try to move them over there for higher humidity?

I had chickens in a incubator years ago. I don't ever remember it being this nerve racking.1 pipped this morning And chirped. I came home from work to find nothing has happened. Today was day 21. When should they start watching?
Relax, it's normal 😉 Chicks will often make that first hole, then spend the next 12-24 hours resting and absorbing the yolk. Hatching is a LOT of effort!

Also my incubator is an old styrofoam 1. I cannot seem to get the humidity above 43%. Will they hatch this way? I can't find a remedy for the humidity. I bought a nuture right 360 incubator but have not used it yet. Should I get it up and running and try to move them over there for higher humidity?
you can close down SOME of the vent holes, and add extra water in the bottom or bits of moist sponge. You could also mist the eggs with some warm water in a spray bottle.

They are Isabel cuckoo eggs from a friend who breeds chickens. He is bringing me 22 this weekend to put in my new incubator. Then I will have all the chickens I ever want to lay eggs After I rehome the roosters

Back
Top Bottom