Walnut Breadcrumb Pasta with a Soft Egg

catterbug

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
Ohio
hands on time: 20 min Total time 44 min
The soft egg coats the pasta and adds rich flavor. The key to the egg is to plunge them quickly into ice water to stop the cooking.

4 large eggs
1 (2oz.) piece of French bread torn into pieces
1/4 cup walnuts
3 TB olive oil
4 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
8 oz. uncooked linguine
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 TB chopped fresh chives
1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz) crumbled goat cheese

1. Bring 3 inches of water to a boil. Add eggs to pan and boil 5 1/2 minutes. Drain and plunge into ice water. Peel.

2. Place bread in food processor until finely ground. Add nuts and pulse until finely ground. Heat large skillet and add olive oil. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add breadcrumb mixture, salt, and pepper and saute for 5 minutes or until toasted.

3. Cook pasta omitting salt. Add pasta to breadcrumb mixture and toss. Sprinkle parsley and chives. Divide pasta into 4 shallow bowls. Top each bowl with 1 egg and 1 1/2 TB cheese.

I am going to have try this. I have home made bread, but that should work without problem. For me the best part is no onions. I hate onions. Otherwise our family would eat a lot more vegetarian dishes. Every tries to tell me that you can substitute garlic, but that really doesn't work because the volume is different. Thank you.

Droool!!!!
That sounds wonderful.

So the eggs are only soft-boiled after 5 minutes?
Having no food processor, can I grind the bread & walnuts in my blender?
You can bet I'm gonna try
wink.png

This sounds SO good. My DD is a vegetarian so I'm always on the lookout for great vegetarian recipes. I can't wait to try it; just have to wait til the snow melts to get the goat cheese.

Back
Top Bottom