want a tip that will make your hens lay like its spring in the winter

Quote:
Great Tip!!! Thanks for sharing!! Got a question....

I recently got 4-5 month old hens that are not laying just yet, they eat from the same feeder as the laying girls if I add the pepper to the feeder will it be ok if the younger, non-laying girls eat it too? The roos sometimes pick at the feed too, would it affect them at all besides giving them bad breath?
big_smile.png

Thanks
smile.png

Cayenne pepper is ground up red pepper flakes (the one's you get in the pizza places)..

As for Fact or Fiction, I'm about to try it.. I ran out of feed yesterday and hubby won't be home in time to grab some from the store before they close.. SO! I whipped up some "chicken food".. lol.. I had some fish filets (unbreaded) in the freezer and I cooked all of it in a little bit of olive oil, added a can of coconut milk (that's used for cooking), lentils and about 2 tbs. of cayenne! If I get even 3-4 eggs a day, I'll be happy since the most I've been getting is 3... Wish me luck and I will keep everyone posted!
fl.gif

ETA: Oh! And I'm gonna throw in a handful of dry cat food for extra protein!
smile.png

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I can't say that it this was a cause and effect situation but when I did this we went from getting 6-9 eggs from 12 hens to 0 eggs for a day or two and then only one or two eggs a day for quite some time. They didn't lay normally until I upped their protein for about a week. That was the first time since we got our very first egg that we didn't get a single one. I thought it was strange.

Quote:
gig.gif
I guess they loved it.. I put it in an 8"x11" pan and luckily with everything I put in it, it was almost to the top ('bout 1/8" from top).. They were jumping all over each other trying to get the goods.. ROFL!! If it wasn't raining, i would have taken the camera out there...I doubt there are any crumbs left... LOL

edited for typo

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom