want a tip that will make your hens lay like its spring in the winter

Quote:
Yep, it wouldn't work on birds. Birds lack receptors for capsaicin, so they don't perceive it as heat like mammals do. This is actually the reason it's in hot peppers: pepper seeds would not survive the longer mammalian digestion, so they are deterred from eating peppers. Meanwhile, they taste good to birds, and the seeds do just fine in the shorter avian digestion. Whether you believe it's by intelligent design or botanical evolution, it's not a coincidence.

Quote:
Yep, it wouldn't work on birds. Birds lack receptors for capsaicin, so they don't perceive it as heat like mammals do. This is actually the reason it's in hot peppers: pepper seeds would not survive the longer mammalian digestion, so they are deterred from eating peppers. Meanwhile, they taste good to birds, and the seeds do just fine in the shorter avian digestion. Whether you believe it's by intelligent design or botanical evolution, it's not a coincidence.

That's right. Ever seen that 'squirrel away' type birdseed for wild birds? It has hot pepper to drive the squirrels off, but like chickens, the wild birds can't taste the heat.

Quote:
Try my post a couple pages back : https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3597901#p3597901

Thanks!
lol.png

I have been giving it to mine and nothing yet! I do not have any hens laying . I know soon it will come maybe when the sun decides to stay around a while idk will see I guess.

Quote:

That's right. Ever seen that 'squirrel away' type birdseed for wild birds? It has hot pepper to drive the squirrels off, but like chickens, the wild birds can't taste the heat.

I wonder if this would be a good way to keep rats and mice out of your feed, if the wild ones are half as smart as the pet rats I've had I think it would.

Quote:
Try my post a couple pages back : https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3597901#p3597901

Thanks!
lol.png

Just a guess, but Cayenne is good for the heart, and it does cause arteries to expand in humans. So it boosts circulation and simultaneously lowers blood pressure. May work that way for chooks too.

I can hardly tolerate it, so I take is as a capsule size 1, 100,000 heat units, one with each meal and it also has hawthorne berry in the same capsule.

Quote:
woot.gif

I have 20 EEs that came from difficult conditions - brought them home last week (for more details, see my post about them here .) They'e currently laying at 50- 55%. Tomorrow, I plan to add ground Cayenne to 18% crumbles for them. I'll wet the mixture with hot water to make a mash. Will post on the results after a couple days.

Well, as I promised I wanted to give everyone an update! 2 days ago, I made a lovely dinner for my chickens which included about 2 tbs of cayenne.. I am happy to say that one of my barred rocks gave me the cutest little egg today!! I'm sold!!! LOL

Goddess
jumpy.gif

I just started with the cayenne pepper today. Question though, whats the difference between cayenne and red pepper? I could only find a tiny container of ground cayenne pepper for 5.00 but they had all sorts of crushed red pepper for 3.00 or so. Is there any difference?

Back
Top Bottom