want a tip that will make your hens lay like its spring in the winter

yes, were can i buy cayenne pepper?
cant find it anywhere
barnie.gif

I was at a Sam's Club today and they had cayenne pepper in those BIG containers for just over $4.00, if anyone has a Sam's around. I have also had good luck buying spices at reasonable prices at Big Lot's.

I've tried it a couple of different times in the middle of winter when the days are the shortest and never found it to make a difference. Right now my hens are all laying more, but it's because the days are getting longer.

"Cash and Carry" has big jurs of ground Cayenne pepper for about $ 7.39. I 'm going there my self tommorow since my tiny $5.00 jur is empty now. Did it for 3 days, don't see difference just yet, about 4 eggs from 13 chickens, but willing to keep giving it to them for another week or so and see what happens. will post the results later.

Quote:
I use either - whichever is on hand or that's cheapest. I also dry my own homegrown cayenne peppers and grind them with a blender. Keep what I want for cooking and use the rest for the chickens.

Quote:
I buy the large containers at Sam's....very economical that way. The mexican section of grocery stores often has it reasonably priced in smaller containers.

Quote:
WALMART

RURAL KING

KROGER

Any grocery store should have it.

I can't tell that it makes a differamce. The days are gettin longer they should start laying better. Some Chicken just lay better than others in the winter. THese people might also be running lights. It could be the feed to. I took mine off layer for the winter.

Last edited:
We've done this for 4 days. We've been getting 0-3 eggs each day this winter, but today we got 5!! A winter record for sure. Thanks for the great tip! Plus I'm hoping it's helping the girls feel warmer during our ridiculously snowy winter.....
roll.png

Just a tip -- if you want to find the cheapest source for cayenne (or any other spice), buy it in the bulk spice section of your local health food store. You will be astounded at how much cheaper it is, even if it's organic. You'll never go back to those overpriced bottles of McCormick's again!

Back
Top Bottom