want a tip that will make your hens lay like its spring in the winter

As a dental hygienist of 40 years, I want to caution you other two legged types (humans) that even though the apple cider vinegar is great for chickens, please don't try it on yourself. It will literally melt your enamel on your teeth and will pit them and make them super sensitive. However, I'm curious as to how much ACV to add to 5 gallons of chicken water.

Quote:
Me too! How much do we add? I hear vinegar is great to keep a lot of things at bay with chickens.

cant seem to find c ayen pepper , is it the same as chilli cayan pepper ?, dont want to blow their beeks off !

I'll give you a tip that makes them lay BETTER than spring in the winter. A heat lamp, we used the heatlamp from when they were babies and hung it in the coop, and closed up the little chicken door during the night, and sometimes through the day if it was really cold or a blizzard. i was getting eggs out my ears! twice during the winter, i got 9 eggs from all 9 chickens. that happened twice, during the inter, and has only happened once since then.

Quote:
Hmmm...I use ACV for myself, it's sold at many health stores. I mix it with water , but I've never had a problem with my teeth and my dentist hasn't said a word. I'll ask her next time. For the chickens, use it at a rate of 1-2 tablespoons per gallon. However don't use it in metal containers, it will cause corrosion.

Quote:
Hmmm...I use ACV for myself, it's sold at many health stores. I mix it with water , but I've never had a problem with my teeth and my dentist hasn't said a word. I'll ask her next time. For the chickens, use it at a rate of 1-2 tablespoons per gallon. However don't use it in metal containers, it will cause corrosion.

I agree with carrlr X2 don't use metal, only plastic

Quote:
I did this for a while with my first flock, but then heard the question...what happens "if" the power goes out. Well, that seems to happen around here once in a while, and I wouldn't want my girls to be extra cold..heard that it can cause serious problems. Not sure where you live..but yes, the heat lamp works, and does give off enough light for their light, but when I didn't use it next time around, they did just fine..and I got just as many eggs..more even because they were older. Don't want to be negative..just telling you how it worked out for me.
love.gif
I guess you never know, they all seem to be different. I did also hear that vasaline is good on the comb and wattles--if they have large ones--for the winter to keep frost off of them. I have cold weather here, so only have winter hardy birds. This is a second flock..still waiting for that first egg!
pop.gif
and waiting
pop.gif

This is quite a thread! After reading all the posts (I think), I'm wondering if cayenne pepper or other hot pepper might be a good thing to keep rodents out of the feed? It seems to work in the wild bird feeders.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom