Want to paint coop

PartyOnARoost

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
IL
I want to paint my coop, meanwhile my chickens are living in there currently... Any suggestions??? Will the smell be toxic to them? Can I paint it while they are in there? Thanks!:D

Hm......my moms friend had a temporary coop until she got done painting the new one....I dont think its a good idea to have them in there...Just like with humans I dont think they can stand the smell that long before they get a headache.

So...maybe start super early in the morning while they freereange if you have no other space or anything and then by night maybe it would be dry?

Are you going to paint the outside or the inside? I suspect you're probably not supposed to but I painted the outside of the coop with my chickens in it. There is great ventilation in the coop and it was a hot sunny day so the paint dried in minutes. No ill effects so far and that was a couple of weeks ago. So that's just my experience.

I need to paint both especially to protect the coop floor. I may paint it next Sat and let her stay inside that night and Sunday night too.. Though here in SC, it gets HOT. Paint should dry quickly.

ANY latex paint is harmless to your chickens. Paint away. No need to relocate your chickens, no more than you would move out of your house if you painted a room. Oil based paints are a different matter.

Back
Top Bottom