Want to try Pellet

CarolB865

Chirping
May 10, 2016
Knoxville, TN
First time Flock Mama. I've been feeding my chicks and chickens crumble style feed since the first. I have both treadle type feeder outside and PVC style feeders for them in the coop and run but they still waste an awful lot of feed for a flock that also free ranges. No one is laying as of yet with my big chickens being 17 weeks old with 2 cockerels in the mix.

I'd love to try a pellet style feed to see if they like it but the only kind I'm finding locally is for layers. I've only seen 1 kind of all flock pellet style feed online and no where around here carries it. Needless to say, I don't want to pay $30 worth of shipping and have the flock turn their beaks up at it! Anyone know of another kind of pellet all flock feed besides Nature Wise? I'm assuming it would not be wise to start the flock on layer feed since none are laying yet?

Shop around, by phone. Some feed store around you should carry all flock pellets.
If they don't, ask them to.
In the meantime put some type of container under the feeder to catch what they bill out.

Chickens are messy eaters! I've found that the premier1supplies plastic feeder, Saturn 15, really prevents spillage. Love it! I plan to add another one next year. I feed Flock Raiser, crumbles, as it's a good all flock feed, but doesn't come in pellets. Mary

First time Flock Mama. I've been feeding my chicks and chickens crumble style feed since the first. I have both treadle type feeder outside and PVC style feeders for them in the coop and run but they still waste an awful lot of feed for a flock that also free ranges. No one is laying as of yet with my big chickens being 17 weeks old with 2 cockerels in the mix. 

I'd love to try a pellet style feed to see if they like it but the only kind I'm finding locally is for layers. I've only seen 1 kind of all flock pellet style feed online and no where around here carries it. Needless to say, I don't want to pay $30 worth of shipping and have the flock turn their beaks up at it! Anyone know of another kind of pellet all flock feed besides Nature Wise? I'm assuming it would not be wise to start the flock on layer feed since none are laying yet?

I have no personal experience with this because I'm just researching Alot. I plan to offer fermented feed to boost health and cut waste. You might want to look into it too. Hopefully this gives another option without adding expense.

I'm thinking the real problem is my cross beaked girl who spends half her day at the feeder. With her scooping with her top bill, much ends up under the feeder instead of inside her.

Carol, your crossbeaked pullet needs a very deep dish with crumbles or mash, not pellets, and not a normal feeder. It's difficult to keep them from starving, a bad outcome. Mary
Just found a thread about tube feeding for my Cleo....so am gathering the supplies to do that for her. Deep dishes don't help because her upper and lower beak are no where close to meeting at all.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Just found a thread about tube feeding for my Cleo....so am gathering the supplies to do that for her. Deep dishes don't help because her upper and lower beak are no where close to meeting at all. 
Thanks!

Oh poor Cleo! I'm sure she will be fine with your care and attention.

Back
Top Bottom