wanting to learn more

It sounds to me that you have one that has failure to thrive (or in other words is way behind the others). In my experience, many of them don't make it. However, it is possible for them to make it and I have seen some survive.

So in order to give her the best chance, make sure she isn't cold. As you decrease the temps in the brooder for the others, she may try to duck underneath the others in order to stay warm since she can't keep warm like them. This can be fatal for her as she stays cold all day and will not make it if she can't warm up.

Additionally, she may be more susceptible to coccidiosis from my experience when they hit the ground. So be alert for any diarrhea OR bloody diarrhea in your brooder after going onto the ground (also lethargy, not eating/drinking, feathers fluffed up, etc.). Coccidiosis is treatable with amprolium.

Keep the waterers and feeders low enough for her to reach them, as you raise them when your chicks get older.

Hopefully she will catch up in growth and live a nice healthy life!

As far as her limping, she may have been injured in the brooder by being stomped on/pecked, or there may be some underlying problem. I don't know about that.

Here is a nice page on vitamin deficiencies so you can learn more if interested:
http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/VITAMINS.pdf

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

From what I know of she is still eating and drinking and I haven't noticed any diarrhea or anything.
It wouldn't hurt to give them vitamins as was suggested...they sell poultry vits at the feed store. You can search BYC for poly vi sol without iron, as (two crows suggested poly vi sol) it is a baby vitamin that people sometimes use on chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom