Wanting to start a garden next year.

rjrinehart

Songster
Mar 6, 2017
Southeast Tennessee
I have dogs.. what do I need to do for that? And I’ve also got an incline in the back yard. From 0 it’s probably a 10 degree incline. Or 170 degree idk which way that would be lol. Any tips on a not flat yard?

I have dogs.. what do I need to do for that? And I’ve also got an incline in the back yard. From 0 it’s probably a 10 degree incline. Or 170 degree idk which way that would be lol. Any tips on a not flat yard?
I put in raised beds and leveled them, then packed mulch down around the bottoms and places where we walk, then filled the beds.

If it's a really mild incline I wouldn't really worry about it unless it stays swampy on the low side. Our garden has a mild slope to it too. When the plants are in we can barely see it.

We did have to fence our garden because of the chickens and the dogs. Or you probably won't have a garden lol our great Dane, Bella, for instance has a great liking for strawberries and will dig the roots and eat them. She also is completely clumsy and wiped out an entire pepper plant this summer when she took it out. After knocking it down she then sat right on it when yelled at for coming through the gate at all. Lol the pepper was completely snapped off so we had to call that one a wrap. Lol

Our sheltie, Molly, isn't bad she just begs for tomatoes. Yep she loves them.

The chickens will scratch and dig up young plants and eat ripe produce. Tomatoes and peppers being the big draw. Also any kind of berry bc who doesn't love berries. Lol

Raised beds are a good idea too and would be nice for weeding. We made a raised strawberry bed this summer so we could enclose it to keep out the chickens and Bella. They will dry out more quickly though. And probably won't deter chickens and may not deter a dog depending on how tall you make them.

Following up on above post: a gentle slope can actually be used to advantage to provide a better micro climate. My garden spot is a gardener's dream: a lot of sun, no tree root encroachment, sandy loam, and a gentle slope to the south. Because of this gentle slope, the sun hits the soil at a more advantageous angle.

However, a slope to the north, would be a detriment!

Back
Top Bottom