Warning, graphic photo - My chicken was attacked, wounded and not sure how this will turn out.

Thanks again for all the support and advice.

I did manage to get her into a vet hospital the next morning and had a wonderful Dr. who specialized in farm animals. She did the best she could and at one point there was reason for optimism, even scheduling for surgery if she stabilized but sadly in the end, Iris didn’t make it.

I grew up on a hobby farm so I understand these things happen, but this one hits hard. We raised them from when they hatched and were a big part of our life. Iris was the leader, had a fierce and commanding personality. She was best friend to our Newfie, loved car rides and snuggles.

The backyard is a very different place now.

Here’s a few photos in better times for anyone interested.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mgGxeU8Wpi5KioK59

Take care and thanks again.
:hugsI'm sorry to about Iris, thank you for letting us know and for sharing the sweet photos of Iris and her friends, just lovely.

Thank you all for the support and replies.

My initial assessment was incorrect and she does have what I think is a punctured lung. I can now hear air through the hole at the same cadence as the air I can hear her breathing through her mouth.

I missed it initially because it’s under feathers and kinda under the very top of her wing.

I’ve put a sterile pad over the puncture for now. I also made her an electrolyte drink as per Google and she’s taken about 15 ml via dropper over the last couple hours.

She’s still here for now although I am losing hope but I’ll keep trying.

I know it may sound ridiculous, it’s just a chicken but we’ve hand raised them as backyard pets and they mean a lot to us.

If you have some plain gauze saturate it with vaseline and place directly over the area that you hear the air escaping.

Thanks again for all the support and advice.

I did manage to get her into a vet hospital the next morning and had a wonderful Dr. who specialized in farm animals. She did the best she could and at one point there was reason for optimism, even scheduling for surgery if she stabilized but sadly in the end, Iris didn’t make it.

I grew up on a hobby farm so I understand these things happen, but this one hits hard. We raised them from when they hatched and were a big part of our life. Iris was the leader, had a fierce and commanding personality. She was best friend to our Newfie, loved car rides and snuggles.

The backyard is a very different place now.

Here’s a few photos in better times for anyone interested.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mgGxeU8Wpi5KioK59

Take care and thanks again.
I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful and clearly a loving (and well-loved) bird. Thank you for sharing photos. We had a tough week with a chicken. It helped me to see how well-cared for your chickens are.

So sorry about your loss of Iris- she was gorgeous 😍. May wonderful memories of her bring you comfort during this difficult time. This is such a great picture, thank you for the updates and for sharing.

:hugs

Screenshot_20231224-112809_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom