*WARNING GROSS* Quail with kidney stones or cancer?

Robbyroyjr

Hatching
May 20, 2022
Can quail get kidney stones or cancer?

My ~1.5 year old Coturnix quail developed an enormous lump right above her tail, near her oil gland last week. I brought her in to isolate her in case it was infectious. The lump continued to grow and it looked like some bodily fluid eventually went to her left leg. Today it was nearly double the original size and putting a lot of pressure on her intestines so I decided she was suffering too much and dispatched her.

I autopsied her and separated the lump. When I opened it up there was a giant white organ-like mass. I thought it was a cyst at first, but it was semi-solid. I cut that open and inside there were tiny hard beads like kidney stones.

No unusual smells or signs of infection in the area. Some signs of damaged / bruised muscle where the mass put heavy pressure.

Does anyone know what they are? Has anyone had similar experiences with their quail or even chickens?

Attachments

• D5357A0F-B16F-4732-8463-350D597C6D58.jpeg
    D5357A0F-B16F-4732-8463-350D597C6D58.jpeg
    442.6 KB · Views: 43
I'm not used to looking at quail at all, but that looks like cancer to me. If that is oriented in the same position that it came off, then there shouldn't be an "organ" there, I'd say it's a tumor. Seeing the rest of the organs might show whether it had spread through out the bird, and if the liver was affected. Cancer is not uncommon in chickens, I'm not knowledgeable about quail. There are also, not uncommonly, tumors in the uropygial gland of many species of birds. If you see it again, and vet care is an option, then they may be able to remove a tumor when it is small. If you lose another with similar symptoms you may want to consider a professional necropsy. In chickens there are some virus's that cause cancer and tumors, I don't know if those can also effect quail. Having a professional one done with labs can tell you for sure.

My ~1.5 year old Coturnix quail developed an enormous lump right above her tail, near her oil gland last week. I brought her in to isolate her in case it was infectious. The lump continued to grow and it looked like some bodily fluid eventually went to her left leg. Today it was nearly double the original size and putting a lot of pressure on her intestines so I decided she was suffering too much and dispatched her.

I autopsied her and separated the lump. When I opened it up there was a giant white organ-like mass. I thought it was a cyst at first, but it was semi-solid. I cut that open and inside there were tiny hard beads like kidney stones.

No unusual smells or signs of infection in the area. Some signs of damaged / bruised muscle where the mass put heavy pressure.

Does anyone know what they are? Has anyone had similar experiences with their quail or even chickens?
Yes, I had 2 series of 20-25 quails each ... about 50-60% of the birds that reach 1,5-2 years had cancer .....

Yes, I had 2 series of 20-25 quails each ... about 50-60% of the birds that reach 1,5-2 years had cancer .....

Back
Top Bottom