WARNING MATH:) Cost Of Raising Cornish Cross and Dual Purpose Layers.

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't clearer. I was saying since in the past I had screened the leftover hay, that the goats wasted, for small pieces for the chickens, that it makes sense to grind some baled hay. I guess the goats are my grinder right now.
smile.png

Corn isn't a bad filler. I know a lot of folks tend to have something against soy but it is a high source of protein.

There are may sources of protein concentrates like alfalfa, worms, fish & fish meal, etc.

There is a list on the OP site:
http://homesteadapps.local/app/free/feedcalc/pearsonsquare.php

Last edited:
cost of my custom ration has gone up dramaticlly in the last several months. I mix a varity of grains for my layer/breeder flock and have it "rolled" at a local mill. Oats being the base- up from 1.45 to 2.25 per bu. Wheat up from 5.00 to 8.50. Corn is the good one. Up from 3.25 in may of 2010 to over 6.00 now. I also use field peas but have a barter worked out on them. Layer ration from CHS went from 9.20 per 50 to 11.20 per and was told it will go up again soon. Looks like egg and chick prices will be on the rise too. lol

Quote:
I wonder why you have the grains grind & rolled?

I feed my chickens whole oats and when it is very cold, a little whole corn. The nutrients last longer in whole grains than in grains that have been cracked or rolled.
I can see doing it is you do your own and feed immediately. But buying grains that are already processed means that by the time you are feeding them, they are losing a lot of nutrition.

I do supplement with fish meal & Alfalfa meal to raise the protein. They get it free choice. It also costs about 35% less to feed this way than buying processed feed.

If one submits these proposed figures to one's CPA to prepare one's taxes, he/ she would immediately councel one to also include power, fuel, transportaion, labor ( hired and/ or one's own), costs of replacement stock, holding costs, cost of goods sold, insurance, property taxes etc. as a true cost of doing business to save you paying a higher tax. If one prepares one's own Schedule F tax forms using these proposed figures/calculations to the IRS farm/ business audit to calculate profit and/or loss, they will happily accept those calculations and hand you a handsome tax bill indeed.

Quote:
I agree, as did the OP. A cost analysis and comparison is not a profit/loss statement that is used for your tax return. Many businesses use similar cost analysis as part of management and budgeting.

As the original post stated, and many budget planners have stated, you need to keep good records of the money going out and coming in.

Then look for ways to decrease the expenses and increase the income till you are comfortable.

Look for ways to replace bought feed with equally nutritious found feeds: restaurant scraps, grocery produce cast-offs, day-old bread stores, Gardening, Pasturing, raising earthworms or mealbugs, sprouting grains, fishing offal (although my grandfather's commercial fishing castoffs produced chicken that smelt like catfish while it was cooking), gleaning fields, getting help from friends for table scraps....

It is going to work for some and not for others, specifically due to prices and availability in your location.

I should point out that Im feeding dual purpose chickens.
Quote:

I feed my chickens whole oats and when it is very cold, a little whole corn. The nutrients last longer in whole grains than in grains that have been cracked or rolled.
I can see doing it is you do your own and feed immediately. But buying grains that are already processed means that by the time you are feeding them, they are losing a lot of nutrition.

I do supplement with fish meal & Alfalfa meal to raise the protein. They get it free choice. It also costs about 35% less to feed this way than buying processed feed.

I figure rolling it is an easy way to mix the grains for easy feeding. I gather my grains from several different sources. Wheat come from the grain bins in my yard that are used by the tenant of our farm/ranch and is traded for in finished product. The field peas come from another farm that I barter for with my handyman business. The oats and corn come from the mill were they mix in the peas and wheat provided by me and run it through the roller. I like its edibility for the growing pullets. Had 750 lbs of rolled this time, to feed about 80 birds so the food wont get to old. I also have another oats connection in the neighborhood were I have traded for cleaned birds. Evening feed is whole oats mixed with BOSS which is bartered for in egg trade. I make my own alfalfa bales from second cutting alfalfa being fine stemed and leafy which is fed about twice weekly. Trying hard to keep the out of pocket cost low and lower. My homebrew feed is low on the protein side, about 14% but that's by choice and I do add CHS Layer to the ration also.

Last edited:
I just priced chicken feed prices around Portland, Or./ Vancouver, Wa. Egg Layer 16% protein feed averaged $13.99 / 50 lb bag., Organic at $23.99. Flock raiser at 20% protein $ 15.99- $17.99 , ORGANIC $ 27.95- $29.95, Day old Chicks at Wilco Farm stores... the DP straight run( BR, RIR, NH ) $2.49 ea.. egg layers/ sex links, straight run -- $ 2.89 ea., CX- straight run -$ 1.79. Today's special is if you buy 100 pounds of flock raiser feed they will give you 10 CX chicks for FREE. Then if one pays with a credit card, there is also the 20%- 30% rip off fee.

Quote:

I figure rolling it is an easy way to mix the grains for easy feeding. I gather my grains from several different sources. Wheat come from the grain bins in my yard that are used by the tenant of our farm/ranch and is traded for in finished product. The field peas come from another farm that I barter for with my handyman business. The oats and corn come from the mill were they mix in the peas and wheat provided by me and run it through the roller. I like its edibility for the growing pullets. Had 750 lbs of rolled this time, to feed about 80 birds so the food wont get to old. I also have another oats connection in the neighborhood were I have traded for cleaned birds. Evening feed is whole oats mixed with BOSS which is bartered for in egg trade. I make my own alfalfa bales from second cutting alfalfa being fine stemed and leafy which is fed about twice weekly. Trying hard to keep the out of pocket cost low and lower. My homebrew feed is low on the protein side, about 14% but that's by choice and I do add CHS Layer to the ration also.

Thumbs up! If you are getting eggs your alfalfa bales must be supplying the additional protein. I have to buy everything, so its just easier to use alfalfa meal...
I wont use soy. I'm paying almost $12 for 100 lbs of whole oats. Things are really getting high.

Back
Top Bottom