Warning: raccoons not just nocturnal

gadus

Songster
8 Years
Jul 28, 2015
Maine
I've just finished dealing with the fifth raccoon of the season-that I have trapped, anyway. Not a pleasant business but you can't mess around or you might as well just close up shop and go back to buying eggs at the supermarket.

I suppose I should give some background for there are contributing factors which I could have mitigated had I not lowered my guard over the course of almost three years of poultry farming.

To wit, though I cut back significantly the free-ranging in the summer months-due mostly too the combination of heat and poop-and resulting exploding fly populations-I was-am still letting my birds out for some, typically, afternoon grazing. I have two separate runs, with pullets and hens separated and when the pullets were a decent size I allowed them to mix outside the runs. This resulted in a great deal of confusion, with hens going into the pullets' pen to help themselves to grower and vice-versa and separating the two flocks at night was a bit problematic-though my herding skills improved radically.

Even once inside their run, I had a problem just getting the pullets back in their brooder enclosure. They were flying over the fence (I added deer netting) but then a bigger problem manifested when they took to flying up into a spruce tree at dusk-before I could herd them inside- and there wasn't much I could do about that. Well, actually there was but as I say, I had gotten very comfortable about letting them out and not having predator issues. I lost two pullets during this period, both at night and probably plucked from the tree they were roosting in.

At which point I suspended all free ranging and tried to figure out what the heck was taking my birds. The two pullets were not the first; the first encounter was back in July when something (predator still unknown at that time) took an Americauna off her nest (she would not lay in the coop but insisted on daily flights over the fence and making a secret place for laying) in broad daylight. Previously, I had not thought of raccoons as anything other than nocturnal-so I was thinking, some brave fox, taking advantage of the cover of sweet fern, where my hen had a clutch of eggs. Then the two pullets were taken, as I've described. But until it was trapped, I thought I had some other critter on my hands.

There was a break in the killings and I was feeling more optimistic but one night, the bowls of feed appeared empty and scattered in the morning and the runs a bit dug up. Honestly I thought a bear had gotten in (this had actually happened a year ago) Then I noticed a portion of the wire fence in which a section of it had been pushed in and realized I had something smaller. I have since trapped five very fat raccoons.

I should add that I regularly dump kitchen waste in the runs and leave the feed outside-something I have temporarily stopped doing until I'm convinced I've seen the last of the raccoons.

So what are the lessons here?

I could stop dumping kitchen scraps outside but they would still smell it on the compost pile, not ten feet away from the run.

I can and will definitely bring in the feed at night. This will reduce the "footprint" of available food.

I will probably not free-range my birds unless I am present and better, working outside.
I will trim all low-growing bushes in the area in which they free-range.

With future batches of pullets, I will ensure that they always return to the pen at night and not get comfortable with them doing as they please.

Others have said you have to keep trapping (and dispatching) until the predators are gone. I agree. It's never pleasant, you never get "used" to it but it has to be done.

I added an extra area for mine to forage. It does not have the electric fence around it(it's very temporary and made to come up and down within minutes) Put up a couple nets for aerial predators but won't let them out there without supervision because I do have a family of raccoons living 20 feet away and I do not trust them(day or night).

I had a raccoon climb the back end of my fence, run up the mowed path through the back meadow portion of the yard, and try and grab a lone broody hen that was out foraging about with several three-week old chicks in tow. Late spring, middle of the morning, and raining lightly off and on. NOT the sort of time you'd expect any raccoon to attack. Luckily, most of the other birds had elected to stay inside the chicken house that morning because of the rain, and I was already outside, heard the commotion, and ran in the back in time to see the raccoon actually chasing the broody over the lawn, the hen still safe and running but shrieking her head off. As soon as the coon saw me coming, it broke off its chase and ran back down the path towards the back and out of sight behind some trees and long grass. The broody stopped and starting calling to her chicks. I'll never forget the sight of her standing there in the middle of the lawn in the rain, wings out and panting from the exertion of her near miss, mournfully calling. And within a few minutes, out popped all the chicks, where from I was never sure (my yard has a lot of cover...grape arbors, hedges, a big pussy willow and shrubs, etc), but they were all fine and the broody gathered them up and took them into the chicken house. No more foraging for them that morning!

As for me, I immediately set a live trap close to where I'd seen the raccoon disappear and by THAT AFTERNOON, I had her. A very large and very skinny female, so thin she had flaps of skin hanging on either side of her body, and obviously nursing a litter somewhere. I have no doubt that hunger drove that animal into making a rather desperate daytime raid and that it drives a lot of daytime raiding by predators that more typically operate in the dark. You can't blame them or hold a grudge for doing what they have to do to feed themselves and raise their youngsters. Anyway, problem solved, and I still feel a little bad that I condemned a litter of baby raccoons somewhere to a slow death by starvation when I did in their mother that afternoon. I would have done them in too if I'd known where they were...
That's the only daytime attack by a raccoon that I've personally experienced or know of since the mid 1980s....so, rare... But yes, it happens.

Argh! Resurrecting this to report another daytime incident. I just had four days off work. Thursday evening, around six, I'm sitting on a low stool in the front yard right next to my bird-feeding area at the end of my laneway, cutting off unwanted shoots from my bridal wreath spirea hedge that were growing into the laneway. The chicken house is right behind the bird-feeding area, and although I'd already fed the chickens their scratch grain for the day and had shut the layer flock in to their run for the night, I'd left the runs for the younger birds, the buff orpingtons and olive eggers, open and most of the birds had come in the front and were milling around where I was working. Suddenly, this FRIGGIN' RACCOON starts climbing this spruce tree on the neighbour's side of my chain link fence, obviously intending to get up and over into my yard. He's like ten feet away and I'm sitting right there! I stood up, yelled at him and waved my baseball cap, and he reluctantly reversed and then skulked off still next to the fence line, making for the woods towards the end of my property and moving with that slow sullen air, ears back, that told me he really wasn't all that worried about me. Yes, he was PROBABLY just wanting to get at the birdseed in the feeders and maybe eating some windfall apples from a tree next to my front deck, but still! The worst of it was that the chickens who were out with me just stood there gawking at the coon, not even moving or raising an alarm. Too young and still too naïve to know any better, I guess, and the older roosters that would have squawked were already indoors.

I set three traps immediately, two in the front near the feeders, one in the back up against the chicken runs. No luck that night, but the next, Friday night, I caught a young male raccoon in the trap back by the runs. NO reason for a coon to be back there--there's nothing to eat--unless he was snooping around, looking for a way into the runs and possibly into the chicken house. I'm virtually certain it was the same animal I saw climbing the spruce tree. He moved slowly enough while retreating that I had time to note that he had a distinctive skinny tapered tail that was quite brown, with black and tan rings instead of the more usual black and pale grey.

I live in a temperate climate and right now is when raccoons are trying to fatten up for their coming hibernation. I sometimes see them prowling around already at dusk during this time of year, but NOT normally when it's still light out enough in the evenings for chickens to be out foraging. Anyway, fair warning, folks. Keep an eye on your birds! Those darn raccoons are out there and SOME of them are obviously hungry enough to get a start on their own foraging way before dark!

Amen!! I was sitting outside a few weeks ago in the middle of the day and a raccoon came out of the ravine by my house....followed by FIVE babies. Mama led them straight to the chicken pen. Luckily I was in the middle of putting up my electric fence. It sure put some urgency into the finish up, let me tell ya! Up to that point I knew I had a problem at night but thought they were safe in the day in their net covered run. Zero problems since I got the electric fence up.
Good luck to you and your flock!

Aaannnd the saga continues... I thought I'd better be proactive and have been leaving a single baited trap both by the bird-feeding area and in the back by the chicken runs since trapping that bold little male. Nothing all weekend... This morning, I'm up early and go outside about five AM to open up the chicken house popholes before I go off to work so the flocks can at least go outside into their runs for the day, and there's ANOTHER raccoon in the bird-feeder trap! A big mature female, and I strongly suspect it's the young male's mom. Guess I better leave the traps out for a while yet... There may be a whole other bird-feeder-raiding raccoon family in the neighbourhood besides the one I trapped out earlier this year!

Back
Top Bottom