Warning to perspective first-time emu owners!

It's been in the fiftys and raining for days and days so outside has been a problem. I finally took them out for a short time yesterday after work and while it didn't take long for them to start shivering they started running around!!! They fell over their own feet a few times but they seemed to improve greatly from a few days ago. I did try the electrolytes in the first days but will start them back again. They tried all kinds of greens and even rose petals while they were outside. I am also a little concerned about runny poo. I worm my peacocks when this happens. Do you think they are being troubled with worms already? I mean they are not even 2 weeks old and have not been outside enough to be exposed I don't think. Oh and I am a wimp when it comes to cold so it would be a long time before they go outside if I base it on my ownself :) Thanks for the help
cute photos !
Ok, now I said as long as it's warm enough for YOU to be outside barefoot then they can be too, they don't need to get chilled at this age at all, even for a short period.
Can you not leave them inside when it's too cold out ( in the 50's) and have it where they can at least get some sunshine from a nearby window that's slightly cracked for fresh air also ?
No drafts and don't let them be in direct sunlight from the window where they could get too hot either...just " nearby" a cracked window where they can benefit from the air and sunshine.
Runny poo is normal for emus.
Electrolytes are fine , geared mainly for for stress periods. " Vitamins" would be big help , a vitamin assortment mix like you can get at most farm supply stores for poultry and one that has a good dose of the " B's" in them and one with probiotics in it if you can find it. Rooster Booster has a good vitamin , electrolyte, probiotic mix that can be found at Tractor Supply in small plastic jar container., 8 oz. I believe.
Main thing that worries me about folks rearing any kind of chicks is some will leave them in dark closed up areas without much a. room to exercise b. needed benefits the chicks can get/need from fresh air and sunshine, ever heard of rickets?

They are in my kitchen and are getting some morning light but I haven't opened the windows because of it still being chilly. It is supposed to be in the 70's today and sunshine finally so I will take them out as soon as I get home. Of course it is calling for more rain all of next week :( Really glad to hear on the poo answer, thanks for that. All of my chickens are free range and some of my peacocks. The rest are in a 3 sided 50' barn I built for them so they have sunshine and air. It would not work to put them together though, the peas would probably hurt them and then the emus would most likely return the favor as soon as they out grew them. I have a small barn for my horse that I figured the emus could use if they needed it. Tractor supply is my second home so I will pick up your suggestions today

Quote:
Since I posted my pictures things have changed a bit my wife developed breast cancer (she is all clear now) but we down sized. The ponies have gone and we have fewer sheep, just enough to maintain the paddocks without me having to mow. Long term (much longer term now) I stull fancy an Emu or three or failing that some Rheas and I appreciate the comments made here Our faithful Dalmatian passed away last year and we now have a Beagle and two Welsh Corgis in training. The Beagle is fine in the fields already he is only interested in one thing - Rabbits! But the Corgis! Different story they eat everything poo shaped and that Emu pat would have some grim and probably very squitty consequences :)

Back
Top Bottom