Was egg bound and now not walking...

chena16c

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 12, 2010
Austin, TX
So on Saturday, after much ruckas from the other hens. I found one of my 6/7 month of BLRW laying on the coop floor with her legs straight behind her with her bottom "pulsating" did the research and figured she was egg bound so I soaked her in warm water (didn't do anything) but her under a heat lamp (chicks weren't too happy I took it away from them) still nothing, and she was getting hot so I moved her into the living room. Covered up the small dog crate she was in and went to bed for the night. (Note she was not drinking or eating so I mixed some yogurt/probiotics with some egg yolk in water and force fed/drank her that way). She perked up a bit, made some clucking and chuurrrring noises before I went to bed but was listless and didn't move.

During the night she did lay an egg, the shell was pretty soft/weak and between her weight and the dog crate plastic it was broken (I'm almost positive not in her), But since then she still isn't walking on her own. I've sat her outside in an X-Pen so she can get sunlight and so the other hens can see her (her sisters continue to go up to her while the other kind of ignore her). She's eating just fine, and I've been giving her some yogurt to help with calcium intake (since I haven't been able to make it to the feed store for shells). She's eating that, along with her layer pellets and some organic chick feed as well as the occasional mustard greens.

However she won't get on her feet. She'll sit on her haunches, and try to walk but falls to one side. Her comb and wattle are a nice red color still. She's very alert though and starting to fight me a bit when I pick her up. I just can't figure out why she isn't walking. I know know if she hurt a leg (maybe she fell off the roost when in the coop?) Nothing looks swollen though. Can they get Rickets from being egg bound?

My local meetup group isn't really responding so I thought I'd ask here...

One thing you could try as a calcium boost is, crush one Tums tablet and mix it in a little yogurt for her. Not every day, just as a boost.

It's really hard to say what's going on with her. I wish you both good luck.

Back
Top Bottom