Was the killer a racoon?

Pics
I too had a raccoon attack my chickens in my coop I thought was fort Knox. Killed two, ate the neck up. I have one completely scalped and is in rehab. I too set a trap and can't not seem to catch. My game cam did show the coon the night of the attack as well as a cougar. Later my game cam showed a bob cat. So, I live in an environment of many predators. I have been raising chickens for over nine years and this is the first. I found in my coop the coon got in by the gate above was not secured. Also dug in the ground from one coop to the other coop to access where the chickens were roosting. So frustrating. Still have not returned my healthy chickens yet until I catch this culprit. Best of luck. My husband is not well, so our next plan it to put electric fencing around the coop. I am so traumatized loosing chickens I am so scared putting the survivors back in. I totally understand your frustration. On occasion we do get coyotes get in our secured fence around are property but never got into the chicken coop. Racoons are very clever and test anyway to get in. My top of the coop is completely closed off plus a tarp plus snow. But must climb all looking for away in and being diggers as well.

Back
Top Bottom