Was the killer a racoon?

Pics

PurpleCArTires

Crowing
Sep 23, 2020
Taneytown
Thats what my husband thinks. I wanted to see what you all thought. Last night 9 out of 10 chickens were killed or missing. My coop is an old well house and the chickens sleep on a roost bar over 6 feet high. I found the lone survivor still on the roost bar this morning.
I found 3 bodies on the floor of the coop. And 2 more bodies out in the yard far from the coop. 3 chickens are M.I.A.

It looks like the two in the yard were killed where they lay - so they must have took off into the night running and were hunted down. They were both tore open, heads missing and chest/crop eaten.

The 3 in the coop were untouched besides puncture wounds on their throats and 3 DEEP scratches (like a paw with 3 claws) on their breast tissue.

Would a raccoon kill everything in sight, carry off 3 chickens, and hunt down 2 more in the yard?

PS. I set a trap for tonight using one of the bodies in hopes the killer returns and I can capture it.

It looks like the two in the yard were killed where they lay - so they must have took off into the night running and were hunted down. They were both tore open, heads missing and chest/crop eaten.
These sound like raccoon attacks. I have had 4 raccoon attacks and they sound like what happened with these two. I am sorry!

I agree it sounds like a raccoon, possibly more than one. I'm very sorry it/they killed nearly your entire flock. It's a good idea to always have a security camera aimed at the coop so you know what predator species are lurking.
Thank you! Luckily it wasnt all my chickens. This was my "retirement" coop, all chickens over 2 year. But I wanted them to live out their days, not get killed by some crappy racoon. Also my favorite rooster Kyle was killed. He will be missed 😔

I agree it sounds like a raccoon, possibly more than one. I'm very sorry it/they killed nearly your entire flock. It's a good idea to always have a security camera aimed at the coop so you know what predator species are lurking.
Agreed. If you catch one raccoon, there are likely more. Eliminating the current group will get rid of those who know where to come back for more. But, eventually more raccoons will move back into the area. Be ready to prevent them from getting in.

Agreed. If you catch one raccoon, there are likely more. Eliminating the current group will get rid of those who know where to come back for more. But, eventually more raccoons will move back into the area. Be ready to prevent them from getting in.
I ordered a new automatic door, and I won't be putting any chickens in this coop for awhile. I'll try to trap over the next few days, hopefully we catch the culprit. This is the first major predator attack we've ever had. I should have known something was happening when my dogs were freaking out by the fence and jumping at the door to go outside. My goats were by the gate too. I scanned the field with my flashlight and didn't see (or hear) anything, but I wish I wouldn't have been lazy and actually walked the yard. I might have been able to save more. It is what it is though I guess 😔. I'll be focused on catching these guys and adding more protection to the other coops.

Back
Top Bottom