Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
We LOVE our friends in Washington State and we know y'all love to chat! The original Washingtonians thread has over 80,000 replies which is AMAZING!

It's great to see peeps who love raising backyard chickens come together, but all that discussion in a 5 year old thread is bogging down the server when we do updates. For this reason we're starting this new Washingtonians thread.

Rest assured that the entire original Washingtonians thread will remain closed from new replies, but completely intact. You'll be able to reference, search, and read it any time!

Please continue all of your great discussions here.

Thanks to all our Washington friends for being (chatty) members of our wonderful community!!!!

Last edited:
Good Morning If any one here is in Marysville or knows someone in Marysville who has lost their chicken i have her in the small coop away from my other girls for now would love to get her back home but if not we have room.... :celebrate
Any one know what breed of chicken she might be??
golden found chicken 1.25.jpg

Attachments

• golden found chicken.jpg
    golden found chicken.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 1
  • golden found chicken 1.25.23.jpg
    golden found chicken 1.25.23.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 1
Phew! 13 days my group of volunteers worked....we fed, watered, caught, sought medical care for, and reunited pets in the Gray fire area! Our final "tally" of animals helped/saved/evacuated included...
  • 350+poultry
  • 77 cats
  • 46 dogs
  • 50+ deer
  • 34 Horses
  • 47 Goats
  • 4 Cows
  • 2 Porcupine
  • 1 Llama
  • 1 Endangered (on the Eastern side of WA) River Pelican!
I am so proud of everyone that stepped up and helped where and how they could! The core group of us are now forming a formal organization and working on getting our nonprofit status for the next animal crisis!

Once formed, we will be looking for people that are trained/experienced and willing to teach us how to properly and safely catch all kinds of critters!

Haven't been here in awhile. Anyway, sometimes I lose this thread. Had 5 hens killed this past Thursday in the run that we thought was secure. DH fixed the weak spot in the fencing that we think the coons or other critter got in. I am nursing an injured one who was still breathing when we found them Friday morning. She has wry neck, from being grabbed by the head and upper neck, from the evidence. Not much bleeding. Cannot stand, so she just lays on her side, sleeps a lot and gets spoon fed for now. Have had lots of good advice on another thread. She is slowly improving. Such trauma for them, and me.

I am hogging the thread, but have to show you guys an awesome story~~~~~~~~~~

I bought hatching eggs from back east.EXPENSIVE EGGS!!!!

And they were wasted by the USPS................2 were bullseye cracked, as they clacked together...

2 were obliterated smashed to goo..................

2 had small hairline cracks...I tossed 3................
hit.gif

The air cells under candle rolled from top to bottom & back..leaving no doubt the air cell was completely detached on each one...IF the mebrane is still solid around the chick, it may still have a chance.

I was so upset by the mess, I stuck simple scotch tape over the 2 with the bullseye cracks....and put the rest air cell up in the incubator over night with the turner off.
The next day I turned the turner on & gave them 17 days............

After 17 days I tossed a few more that were obviously scrambled totally inside & had blood rings................................
sad.png
..and that left 5 to go into lockdown, they were dark inside, looked far too wet, and I did not want to turn them over (if there was a chick inside) so I did not check the air cells again...handling at this point is crucial, never handle eggs more than setting them, and locking them down.

I left the eggs in the hatching bator...already written them off.................it was sad.
sad.png

Then, I peeked in on pip day, the 30th.and there was 2 pips !
Even the scotch taped together egg had pips !

NO WAY>>>>>>>>NO FREAKING WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif

They not only pipped right on schedule, they zipped right out, with their heads UP in the air cell.
This is why it is so crucial to incubate & lock them down air cell up & not to keep handling them. The babies can get lost if they are laid on their sides & the air cells roll UP, and the baby drowns as it goes to the large end of the egg.

So they all hatched, leaving one of the scotch taped eggs holding the baby in, and his wings flapping, I had to reach in & open his egg as the tape held his zip....so super awesome !!!

A scotch taped egg is right ,center, babies' wings are flapping out.LOL

A blurry/better shot of the taped guy flapping his wings !

See the scotch tape ?

The other scotch taped egg got out without help.
These 2 taped eggs had BAD bullseye cracks, like when a baseball hits a window...I am really impressed with scotch tape !
Normally I'd have melted wax, and maybe even tossing the 2 bad cracked aggs.

Cool Story, huh ?

Back
Top Bottom