Wasting Away?

magdelaine

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Inyokern, CA
I think my rooster is dying.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
He's a White Ameraucana rooster, approximately 14 months old. He was almost 6 pounds but seems barely 4 pounds now.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargic, falling asleep on his feet, no longer crowing or mating, weak, having a hard time balancing.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
He's gotten a lot worse in the last couple of weeks, but his fertility starting falling off two months ago.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing; the change has been very gradual.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
He eats and drinks well and hungrily, in fact it's the only time he looks somewhat active.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny and greenish; staining his tail fluff.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
He was treated with Ivermectin 5 months ago and again today, although I found no evidence of lice, mites, or worms.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself if possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

You can see here his comb is very pale.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
Bedding is a combination of alfalfa straw/hay in nest boxes and pine shavings in coop. Otherwise he's confined to large run with lots of sandy dirt.

There are many things it could be. Possibilities of common things are lymphoid leucosis, influenza, ochratoxicosis

I didn't see the answer to this.
7) What has the bird been eating?

There are many things it could be. Possibilities of common things are lymphoid leucosis, influenza, ochratoxicosis

I feed fermented turkey grower with bird seed added (small amount) and kitchen scraps. Something I found suggested elsewhere is hardward disease. His symptoms fit that pretty well. His getting sicker has been a very slow gradual process over the last two months.

I suppose lymphoid leucosis is a possibility, but with influenza and ochratoxicosis wouldn't I be seeing symptoms in other flock members? And I would imagine his decline would be quicker?

Can I get that done at any vet?

Most vets SHOULD be able to do those tests but in my experience, most won't.
Around here most won't do it unless they see 'the patient'. Then again, many won't see chickens.
I found a country vet about 40 miles north of me that would do fecal tests without me having to bring the patient. He also has a lot of poultry experience.
I could also have gone 40 miles south where there are a couple more good poultry vets but that would have had me going through the whole metro area on the way.

It surely sounds like it's time for a visit with an avian vet with poultry experience (rare as hen's teeth) so you should probably bring the bird if you can find a vet.

Back
Top Bottom