Water addition in Little Giant incubator

rosco

Songster
10 Years
Nov 24, 2009
Texas Panhandle
how the heck to i add water w/o removing the entire egg turner?

44938_img_1494.jpg

you'll need to have looked at one w/ an egg turner to understand the dilemma. there are holes in the top, but there is an egg turner and 1/4" screen in the way. there are holes in the bottom, but i'd have to pump water across, under and up to o get the water in the "water wells."

anyone who's added water to this unit w/ an egg turner is welcome to help me figure this out.

THX in Advance!

Quote:
i'm thinking you pump ~50ml of water through a syringe/needle? i would need some very good light to even see the right place to put the water. if you miss, it leaks through holes in the bottom.

sseems there is a few ways in, one, you have a small hole on the side of the trays, run a hose there

other, drill a hole on the side of the incubator, run a tube

other, use a needle

hope it might help

This is an inherent design flaw in the LG incinerators!
Remove 2 of the racks from the turner permanently. This gives you access to all the (WAY TO SMALL)(Volume and surface area) water compartments. This will also limit your auto turned incubation capacity to 80 quail eggs, but it is worth it.

If you do not intend to hatch in the incinerator...I recommend a real hatcher that is built for game birds, then you may remove the 1/4" wire from the floor.

Quote:
you've obviously dealt with this unit.

i've thought to run a tub up and over the two little wells, but the wire mesh sits on the rims of the wells. the egg turner is close to the wire mesh and i am not sure i could snake tube under them, but will be trying soon.

yeah, enough money has been spent on these little devils. they either hatch as is, or not.

i understand an incubator made correctly rather than cheaply is the answer, but there is zero chance we buy a "real incubator."

i put paper towels in the cavities in the side and used a syringe to squirt the water in (i had a syringe with a long curved nose that allowed me to be pretty accurate) This way I could add water to both sides (usually about 4 syringes at a time to keep the humidity where I wanted it) and the water would not go down the little holes. My problem was that when I twisted (for direction control) and pushed the syring in it made the holes in the top get larger whcih allowed for more than optimum air exchange.
good luck!

I just removed one of my racks and put in a clean baby food jar full of water less mess.

In my hovabator I used a marinating needle and pushed a fine hole through the top to put water where I needed it. In your case how about a sponge on the side where the turner motor is then use a marinating needle?

Back
Top Bottom