Water belly 😱

2-lil-swedes

Songster
8 Years
Jun 23, 2015
Hello peeps!
i have a very small city flock and one of my large girls was feeling low. I picked her up to find her belly had ballooned! After my YouTube research I almost completely drained the abdomen of water . Still have some more to go , but can anyone tell me from experience what I should or shouldnt feed her etc? Will this likely come back and do I need to get every last bit of water out of her? She got poked to death yesterday and I just want her to heal . Thanks!

Just checking because ascites fluid is yellow, but a clear color-less fluid can be from a cystic oviduct. There is some controversy about removing a large amount of fluid at a time, versus just removing a little at a time. Ascites is from liver or heart disease, and is frequently seen in egg yolk peritonitjs or cancer. So it is an ongoing problem, and the fluid will build up again. She will need food and I would put some electrolytes with vitamins in her water for a couple of days. Check her crop to make sure that it is emptying overnight. Crops can slow down with increased pressure inside the abdomen.

Back
Top Bottom