Water belly? Or something else?

Jenthehen127

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Western Pa
Is water belly always squishy? I have a girl who's lower belly/abdomen is round and feels swollen, but not at all squishy. It is not pushed outward , just round. It feels more like it's filled with air or something. Her poop looked good, although she did pass a very small amount of water this evening. She was out eating/drinking and with the other girls this evening. She is breathing a little hard/open mouthed. I noticed her comb and wattles are a darker red than normal. She is just about 3 years old (in March). Any ideas if not water belly?

When was the last time she laid an egg?
It has been a while. With it being winter, we were only getting a few eggs, so I wasn't concerned. They are just starting to pick up laying again. We still aren't getting a lot, but a few more now. She has not laid one in a while though.

It has been a while. With it being winter, we were only getting a few eggs, so I wasn't concerned. They are just starting to pick up laying again. We still aren't getting a lot, but a few more now. She has not laid one in a while though.
Do you know what the problem is/was with your hen? It sounds a lot like what I’ve got going on with one of my girls right now. Like your hen, mine hasn’t laid for a while but because it’s winter and I don’t get many eggs in winter I didn’t think much of it.

Do you know what the problem is/was with your hen? It sounds a lot like what I’ve got going on with one of my girls right now. Like your hen, mine hasn’t laid for a while but because it’s winter and I don’t get many eggs in winter I didn’t think much of it.
Read through all of these:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...FknQdY7z2JqLUa2R0vBoCgh8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Screenshot_20230227-163250.png

Full not so squishy bellies can be internal layers or salpingitis. While reading pay close attention to the mention of overweightness.

Back
Top Bottom