Water Belly or something else?

bonandtam

Chirping
Jul 23, 2023
Hi all! My chickens have been doing good so far expect for today, when this 1.5yr Rhode Island hen has a suspicious growth in the right side of her bottom, i’ve felt it and it is really squishy. I can only think the possibility is water belly developing. Is this right or is there another possible answer? Should i go ahead and try to drain it anyway?
She is eating and drinking fine, laying everyday as well.
In the photo, you can kinda see the growth on the right. Please let me know what i should do.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpeg
    IMG_0183.jpeg
    723.6 KB · Views: 26
Water belly wouldn't be back there that high up, but gosh not sure what else it is. If you poke it or lance it, be very careful and wear gloves and mask in case it squirts as it could be bacterial or worse, a staff infection.

If it feels hot, it's likely infected.

I would first wash her bum in Epsom salts so you can get a better look at it to see if there's something external that caused that, like an ingrown feather or something. Then if you still think draining it seems the best thing, be sure to sanitize the area where you're poking it. I'd keep her in a box with old towels or rags as that might drain a while and you wouldn't want it all over the place.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Water belly wouldn't be back there that high up, but gosh not sure what else it is. If you poke it or lance it, be very careful and wear gloves and mask in case it squirts as it could be bacterial or worse, a staff infection.

If it feels hot, it's likely infected.

I would first wash her bum in Epsom salts so you can get a better look at it to see if there's something external that caused that, like an ingrown feather or something. Then if you still think draining it seems the best thing, be sure to sanitize the area where you're poking it. I'd keep her in a box with old towels or rags as that might drain a while and you wouldn't want it all over the place.

Good luck! Keep us posted!
I think it did end up being water belly. Felt her lower area and is as squishy as the top, checked her this morning and she clearly is having some moments of laboured breathing. I’m trying to get my hands of a syringe big enough for drainage and see what happens! She’s also been the smallest one of the group, has some feet issues so not surprise she has some underlying issues me and the original owner are discovering about.

You can attempt draining a hen with possible ascites/water belly with an 18 gauge needle inserted just through the abdominal wall. Be sure to clean the skin with a disinfectant. You can drain into a container set under the hen while standing. You can insert the needle when she is lying down, and then stand her up. Once the needle is removed, the site can continue to drain.

Back
Top Bottom