water spill in coop

Tami2

Crowing
Apr 30, 2022
Hi,

We hang a feeder & water container inside the coop. Initially, I spilled the water when hanging it & it started to deteriorate the floor. My hubby placed another piece of wood on top & under the water container. However, it wasn't just me. Every morning when I take the container out there is always a wet spot underneath. I push the chips away & allow the heat & fan inside coop to dry it out. By bedtime it's dry. This morning the wet spot was huge & had actual puddles of water on the floor. I think we need to put a 'real' floor over the wood in the coop. Hoping because it's kitchen flooring it will protect the wood underneath?
How do you deal with this type of issue? Maybe a plastic plant saucer to catch the water? Something like this? 👇🏻
https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Sauce...36895&sprefix=plant+plate,aps,239&sr=8-6&th=1

water spill coop .jpg

Thank you so much.

Could be rowdy chickens? I change the water everyday, sometimes twice a day & hang it outside. Its definitely not leaking.

No judgement here but do you need to hang it in the coop? I don't have any water in my coop for this exact reason. I don't want any wetness in the coop
No offense taken. I'm looking for advice to eradicate my problem. I never even considered not offering them food & water inside the coop. They pretty much turn in anywhere from 7:45 to 8:00pm. The last couple of evenings they've turned in even earlier. Hubby lets them out at 6am when he leaves for work.
Not offering them water inside seems cruel to me. (no judgement towards you of course)

I always air on the side of caution. As my circumstances requires it. What if, we can't get out to them for whatever reason. They'll be locked up without any water.
For example my son got Covid in Jan & spent 2 weeks in the hospital. Normally, when he is hospitalized we both stay with him. This time due to covid restrictions, I was only permitted to stay. That being shared, I'm not really comfortable leaving them inside without sustenance.
So, for my situation, I'd rather come up with a solution including water inside the coop.

Thanks so much for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

No offense taken. I'm looking for advice to eradicate my problem. I never even considered not offering them food & water inside the coop. They pretty much turn in anywhere from 7:45 to 8:00pm. The last couple of evenings they've turned in even earlier. Hubby lets them out at 6am when he leaves for work.
Not offering them water inside seems cruel to me. (no judgement towards you of course)

I always air on the side of caution. As my circumstances requires it. What if, we can't get out to them for whatever reason. They'll be locked up without any water.
For example my son got Covid in Jan & spent 2 weeks in the hospital. Normally, when he is hospitalized we both stay with him. This time due to covid restrictions, I was only permitted to stay. That being shared, I'm not really comfortable leaving them inside without sustenance.
So, for my situation, I'd rather come up with a solution including water inside the coop.

no offense taken either. I get where you are coming from. I know that as winter comes closer my ladies also go into their coop earlier and earlier and don't get let out as early in the morning either. I haven't had any go hungry or thirsty :) I get where you are coming from as well with what if you can't let them out to eat and drink-how about an automatic door, though spendy it might help eliminate that worry as well.

Just throwing out some suggestions for you!

If you are wanting to keep the water in the coop, maybe trying a different style of waterer? What type do you have now? Or maybe placing it in a different spot in the coop? Any way to get us pictures of the inside of the coop and the waterer?

I would just be concerned of mold and yucky bedding.

Is your coop floor elevated or at ground level? If ground level, you could remove the floor material and go to deep litter. Then a little spilled water would be no issue - maybe even beneficial.

All depends on your setup, and what you are willing to change to solve this dilemma. I have my food (pvc tall feeder) and water (nipples on bucket with auto filler) in an attached protected run, dirt floor (used to be yard, no grass anymore). Their coop stays open, and they come and go freely. Main door is attached to the run. Although, most of my girls are roosting outside of the coop now, on a protected roof frame.

It gets too hot here to not put the water in the shade which means I have to either put it under the lean-to or in the barn. I have found that those cheap plastic shoe trays set under my waterers keep everything else from getting wet. I also like how they aren't smooth and have the treads to keep them from getting slippery. The handles also make it easy for picking up to dump any excess water. I get mine for $5 usually.
GUEST_2b0ea18d-a894-4215-9ce6-e81c39fb6d58.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom