Waterers

soccrmum

Chirping
Jul 12, 2021
Arcadia, CA
Hi! I wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations on waterers. I live in California, wanted to know if there is a waterer that will keep the water cooler for a long period of time? The ones I use are plastic. Would the metal ones work better? Any advice would be appreciated.

Making a waterer out of an ice chest and horizontal nipples would work. You'd still have to add a block of ice in the morning to keep the water cool all day. Even an ice chest would eventually get warm inside.

I would think that metal would heat up as fast as plastic in complete shade. If there is any sun shining on the waterer the metal would heat up faster.

You might just try to keep blocks of ice that will fit in your waterer in the freezer. Add one each morning and see how well that works for keeping your water cool.

I don't think the type of container matters as much as keeping it in the shade - and perhaps, a larger volume will stay cooler longer than a smaller volume of water. Not too many of my birds will stand in the kiddie pool to cool down, but they all like to drink from it bc it stays cool. For the other waterers, I add frozen water bottles/coke bottles throughout the day. Then refreeze & reuse.

Making a waterer out of an ice chest and horizontal nipples would work. You'd still have to add a block of ice in the morning to keep the water cool all day. Even an ice chest would eventually get warm inside.

I would think that metal would heat up as fast as plastic in complete shade. If there is any sun shining on the waterer the metal would heat up faster.

You might just try to keep blocks of ice that will fit in your waterer in the freezer. Add one each morning and see how well that works for keeping your water cool.
Adding a block of ice sounds good, will try that. Thanks.

I don't think the type of container matters as much as keeping it in the shade - and perhaps, a larger volume will stay cooler longer than a smaller volume of water. Not too many of my birds will stand in the kiddie pool to cool down, but they all like to drink from it bc it stays cool. For the other waterers, I add frozen water bottles/coke bottles throughout the day. Then refreeze & reuse.
Freezing water is what I will do. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom