waterlogged eggs under a soaked broody-update

priszilla

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
easley sc
we had a storm last night and one of the broodies got soaked- she sat anyway- but I thought it would be best if the eggs weren't in standing water-humidity is one thing-under water is quite another. So I found a similar nest box and prepared it- moved her and the eggs- all 26 then moved the whole shebang to a safer place-she sat for about 5 minutes- then decided- she had had enough.

I was outside shuffling things around because I have some other issues anyway.After 2 hours she still was out being a chicken- so In took in her eggs.I candled-3 infertile,18 stopped early or had wonky air cells,15 still looked possible.I plopped them in the bator that had some space-- I wonder If I should have just left her in the puddle.

Last edited:
I'd really like to know how this turns out. I accidentally overfilled my resavoir on my bator and had eggs in a paper mache carton which wicked the water up and I found out 1.5 days later. They were on day 18 and 19 and today is hatch day but not seeing anything happening. The eggs were really heavy too when I moved them so I think I drownd them.

wee.gif

Congratulations! Great save!!!

Back
Top Bottom