Waterproofing the floor?

I don't know about that. I guess it depends on how many birds you have in the coop, and the roosting arangments. Because my coop's floor definitely gets damp, under the bedding that is under the roosts. I see it every time I do one of my twice a year cleanings. The bedding usually gets about a foot or so deep, and when I shovel it out of there, the floor is damp/wet. There is not a big stinking puddle under there, but it is damp in a couple of areas under there. I usually have/had, over the years, between 20 to 25 birds in the coop. Sometimes a few more, sometimes a few less. Usually they keep the bedding turned under the roosts, but sometimes I'll go in there with a pitchfork, and turn/flip it all over. It builds up, and I have seen moisture under there. Just cleaned it out week before last, and the Blackjack is still hanging in there.

So true. Every situation is different.

I have about a dozen birds in a 64 square foot print. No moisture issues, even under the roosts with no poop board. Perhaps this is due to under crowding.

I had a 5 gallon waterer empty due to carelessness on my part.

My coop is well ventilated, the "spill" was contained within the litter and dried fairly quick. I know the floor got damp, but it also dried without issue.

I have a few 2x10 used decking, pressure treated boards waiting to replace my existing floor.

Probably not in my lifetime though.

Still wondering under what circumstances someone had a floor rot out from the inside...

I tile everything, my buddy works for a flooring place and they have 1-2-3 boxes of tile left over from jobs multiple times a day. I also run one tile up on the wall so if I ever wanna do a wash down I can. Ask around, you would be surprised how tile you can get for free.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it was super helpful! Well after reading through everything and talking with the DH who gets the final say as he is building it for me, we decided on doing a good quality exterior paint. I figure with the poop boards, lots of bedding that the floor will probably stay pretty dry no matter what. But I just want a little extra security in case a water spills, or rain gets in through open windows, living in the PNW it is very wet here at least half to 3/4 of the year.

Back
Top Bottom