Watery Diarrhea in 3.5 Wk Old Chick(s)

Can you post a pic? Does it look like bloody diarrhea? Corid wouldn’t hurt. Also, do they have grit? If they get anything other than their feed they need it. Chick grit is often available at feed stores.

I did not see any blood in the water. Just a brown watery substance. It was translucent, not cloudy at all. I didn't think to get a pick before I wiped up what I could find with an antibacterial wipe. I got them from Ideal Hatchery in Texas, and those instructions said to immediately start them out of 10 parts starter to 1 part chick grit. That is what they have been getting since I have had them, minus one day, just a couple of days ago, when I failed to mix the grit in their feed. Should I separate the grit and the food, and give them the option of grit separately for more or less, depending on their needs? Are they old enough to regulate their intake now and not gorge on it?

I just cleaned the coop best I could and I did not see anything that would indicate the diarrhea is wide spread. I failed to mention I have washable/reusable artificial turn nesting pads in the nesting boxes. The nesting boxes seem to stay cooler, so they lay in them during the hottest part of the day. I wash the pads every other day.
I would just keep an eye on them then and see if there’s any change and go from there. Diarrhea could be from the heat. My flock drinks a lot of water in summer so I see more loose stools and they can be colorful depending on what they ate.

I haven’t ever mixed grit with feed, just dumped it in a pile next to the feeder and my chicks were fine. That’s my way, but do whatever you think is best.

The wet mash in the heat is a great idea. Do your chicks like the electrolyte water? If so, what brand do you use? Mine never do so I make a small batch and put in the mash instead, even for the bigs. Otherwise most of it gets dumped out the next day and it’s such a waste.

I would just keep an eye on them then and see if there’s any change and go from there. Diarrhea could be from the heat. My flock drinks a lot of water in summer so I see more loose stools and they can be colorful depending on what they ate.

I haven’t ever mixed grit with feed, just dumped it in a pile next to the feeder and my chicks were fine. That’s my way, but do whatever you think is best.

The wet mash in the heat is a great idea. Do your chicks like the electrolyte water? If so, what brand do you use? Mine never do so I make a small batch and put in the mash instead, even for the bigs. Otherwise most of it gets dumped out the next day and it’s such a waste.
The chicks get save-a-chick electorlytes in a small waterer, and regular filtered water in a larger one. They did drink a lot yesterday, even tho it was not near as hot as it has been. The only real change in diet, was adding save-a-chick probiotic to the same water as the electrolytes.

I ran and got a bottle of Corid at the feed store. Will it hurt to put them on it for 5 days to be on the safe side? I put them back on medicated feed this morning.

Once question about Corid... has anyone done the math on the solution that says 16 ounces per 100 gallons of water? I need to add to a gallon of water. Also, the directions say just give that water only, and to not offer unmedicated water. How do I square away electrolytes with that? It is so hot, I want to keep offering the small waterer with electrolytes, but not if it will interfere with Corid treatment.

The chicks get save-a-chick electorlytes in a small waterer, and regular filtered water in a larger one. They did drink a lot yesterday, even tho it was not near as hot as it has been. The only real change in diet, was adding save-a-chick probiotic to the same water as the electrolytes.

I ran and got a bottle of Corid at the feed store. Will it hurt to put them on it for 5 days to be on the safe side? I put them back on medicated feed this morning.

Once question about Corid... has anyone done the math on the solution that says 16 ounces per 100 gallons of water? I need to add to a gallon of water. Also, the directions say just give that water only, and to not offer unmedicated water. How do I square away electrolytes with that? It is so hot, I want to keep offering the small waterer with electrolytes, but not if it will interfere with Corid treatment.
As I recall you shouldn’t do both corid and medicated feed at the same time. I haven’t ever used medicated feed or corid and my chicks have never had an overload. However, coccidiosis is pretty obvious and should be evident in the poop even now if that’s the issue. It could be the probiotics flushing something out or whatever.

I suggest you keep the corid handy in case it’s needed, and wean them off the medicated feed maybe a bit at a time rather than cold turkey if you’re concerned. No more probiotics, no treats, and only give electrolytes every few days. Give 24/7 access to grit so they can have it when they need it. If they’re outside then there’s likely bugs and other stuff they find. We’re breaking heat records and my flock doesn’t get electrolytes daily so don’t worry too much about that. You can offer a shallow pan of water or a use an old sour cream cup to make ice blocks for them. My chicks played a lot of. King of the mountain. Let the dust settle, keep an eye on the poop and see how it looks in a few days. If in a few days it seems all is well then finish weaning off the medicated feed and begin treats again after you’re satisfied there’s no issue. Treats at 10% of diet for an adult chicken amount to about a tablespoon per day per bird so be careful about amounts.

That is very close to what I have been doing. I have been freezing a gallon jug of water and putting it in the coop with a small fan on it. It seems to cool the air in the immediate vicinity just a bit, and they drink the cold condensation on the side of the bottle. I am going to be freezing extra jugs and putting in 2 to 3 at a time, and change them after a few hours to try to keep a the worst of the heat down, even if in just a small area of the coop. I assume they will find the coolest place, and not just hang out in the run in 100 degree heat. I'll also make sure they have cold mush a couple of times a day. And I am moving the stand fan from my porch, and will put it in the coop window. that will provide a good breeze blowing in and across the gallon jugs. I fully expect the heat index in the upper 120's, given the 120 heat index at just 95 and 95 degrees.
Wooo that’s HOT! We seem to be on the same page lol. We were at 119 for a few days recently with overnight lows in the 90’s. I can definitely relate, although when we have that heat it’s not humid here. While the chicks may struggle a little bit they’ll be ok, you’re doing a great job! Got any pics? You know we love pictures here :D

4 am
73558376-D6D8-4FF3-AD22-10BEEB8D88C8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom