Watery GREEN POOP- DESPERATE- third SICK!

greenacresgrl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Hi all-
PLEEEEEZE help! Just QUARANTINES the third with Green poop-...

1. I've lost two to this in the past couple weeks....

2. noticable Weight loss, watery poo, with GREEN crumbles, poos is it...

3. Two weeks almost three lost my showgirl roo...Just lost my showgirl pullet
today...after tube feeding for 5 days....She died while I was pumping her
stomach as a last resort!
lastly she was on OXYTET 343.

4. Now my WHITE SILKIE ROO- AKA best friend...that shared the coop with her
until quarantine is now pooping green- he's been on Oxytet for two days now...

5. I HAVE WORMER...will use though so SIGNS of worms.

6. I have meds for cocci....Amprol and Sulfamet.
&. I am at a complete loss....My mind is a jumble of possible diseases....!
ANY IDEAS-

Kim:(

I just read through your other posts quickly; it sounds like your birds are overheated and need water before anything else. That is probably what is causing them to lose depth perception, too. This HEAT is getting to our birds, also; it really messes with their systems! Keep a fan on them, and give them ice packs to sit on. Even if heat isn't your main problem, it's probably making everything worse. If you need to bring their temperature down quickly, maybe you can give them a cool bath (put them in slowly, though, you don't want to shock them with a sudden change in temperature). Water is probably your best cure now. Don't give them more medicines. Work on the healthy ones, too. Keep them cool!

Last edited:
Hi all-THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I am feeling LOW....teary now.
hit.gif

I went to the vet yesterday ended up taking both roos and she did a fecal check- no worms. Of course that does not say what it is. The vet was an avian, but usually sees parrots- best i could do on short notice. Overall not impressed and probably just wasted $.

OH! They also both have BUMBLEFOOT...I've been caring for this for about a week this has not caused the other symptoms as the other two did not have it...first time i've ever dealt with bumblefoot! It is not of more concern at the moment and then the pending thing of WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THAT COOP!?!?!

She was not really concerned with the bumble- told me to get them on the sulfamethoxine that I had and cave me a prescription for some stronger (human form) if it did not work....OK my splash roo has a scab that ive kept clean, but despite my efforts is now up in his toe. HUGE RED SWOLLEN FEVERISH...FOOT FEATHERS FALLING OUT. She did not even inject antibiotic, lance or anything....my other buddy is better his is very mild, but i want to stay on top if it and not let it slip up outta control.

Have since talked to Peter Brown at First State Vet supply and have ordered some CEFLEXIN-CEFLEX-PENECILLIAN....capsules i hope will be here soon.
Yes, i do think the green poo is coming from not eating enough. The fact that they have lost weight is also an indicator.
I think the water is, well, from drinking a lot of water---IT'S HOT!!!!

NEW THEORY......
I just covered the bottom of their coops in heavy sand a few weeks ago. I have always kept them on pine shavings completely enclosed BTW...except on one whole side for ventilation- which rain blows into...I SWITCHED TO Grey COARSE pebbled SAND FOR BETTER DRAINAGE to keep the coop dry from rain and water spills!

1. THEY HAVE BEEN SCRUBBING THEIR FEET IN COARSE SAND....abrasions and BAM-BUMBLEFOOT....

2. Peter asked: Do you think they have been eating the sand.....YES....I picked up my showgirl last week and her crop was FULL OF IT!
I thought strange...but was not sure it could hurt her...I mean, chickens do eat grit....He says for some reason at times they eat it out of boredom...or whatever...

3. WHAT IF....eating sand introduces bad bacteria...or made abrasions to her insides...or both...?

4. NOW...I'm removing all the sand...(NO SMALL TASK) and replacing with shavings. Still want to figure out a better floor situation....this was not it!

What do you all think?
hu.gif

I'm feeling like I should be the last person to own chickens right now like i have caused this all...if this fixes the situation I want to relay the sand factor to others to prevent this happening to someone else!

I'm thinking along the same lines as Perolane - could be respiratory - avian influenza and Newcastle will both produce watery green poo because of the strain on the kidneys from the diarrhea and low food intake. If it turns almost all white its a sign excess urine (urates). On the other hand, any extreme case of diarrhea can result in watery green or white poo, so that single symptom can't give you a diagnosis. If this is a serious viral disease, the Oxytet will do nothing more than help in the case of secondary bacterial infection. Don't know if its worth continuing, but at this point I don't think it would hurt. One thing I would not do, however, is give worm medicine. This bird is already suffering intestinal inflammation and distress and worm medicines, I fear, would only make matters worse. Anytime there is diarrhea, dehydration and electrolyte imbalance becomes an issue. I'd give this bird Pedialyte instead of plain water and give it via eye dropper if he isn't drinking on his own. You can also use the Pedialyte to make a mush of crumbles if you must hand-feed.

If the worst should happen and your Roo does not make it, I suggest you contact your State Vet to ask about sending the body for postmortem exam since this is now bird #3 with similar symptoms. For the sake of your other birds, you need a solid diagnosis, not guesses.

Sorry for your troubles.

try corrid, they sell it at Tractor Supply Company stores. You have to act ASAP.

If you can't find it at Tractor Supply, try Agway (if you have one). My TS didn't carry it & no one seemed to have heard of Corid (Corrid?) but the gal from Agway knew exactly what I was talking about. She was out of it, but ordered me some for my Medicine Kit. I was able to get some Sulmet (Sulfamethazine Sodium), which covers Cocci. It comes in a liquid form, white plastic, 16oz bottle & you add it to their drinking water for 6 days. (less than $10)

From the label "Sulmet (sulfamethazine sodium) Drinking Water Solution, 12.5%. Convenient once-a-day dosage in drinking water. Prepare fresh solutions daily.

In Chickens, for the control of: Infectious Coryza (Avibacterium paragallinarum); Coccidiosis (Elmeria tenella, Elmeria necatrix); Acute Fowl Cholera (Pasteurella multocida); Pullorum Disease (Salmonella Pullorum).

Dosage & Administration: Poultry--Add 2 Tablespoons (1 fluid oz) to each gallon of drinking water
if Infectious Coryza (in chickens): Medicate for 2 consecutive days.
Acute Fowl Cholera & Pullorum Disease (in chickens): Medicate for 6 consecutive days
Coccidiosis (in chickens & turkeys): Medicate as above for 2 days [ie: day one = 1 fl oz med/gallon water & day two = new batch 1fl oz med/1 gallon water]
then reduce the amount of Sulmet Drinking Water Solution to one-half for 4 additional days [ie day 3 = new batch 1/2 oz med/gallon water, same on days 4, 5 & 6]

You shouldn't eat the eggs during the treatment, or for at least 10 days afterward. And because the risk of excessive dosage could be toxic for the birds, I wouldn't keep the eggs at all.
(I originally thought I might just scramble them up and give them to the girls as a treat, but after reading the label warning, I thought better of it. 16 total days without fresh eggs is a small price to pay for their health even though I hate to waste the beautiful eggs they work so hard to make for us.)

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Green poo means they are dehydrated and starved. I had a hen that died this way for no apparent reason; give them electrolytes (gatorade), yogurt to help with digestion, and mash their normal food with warm water to make it easier to eat. Keep them in a warm, dry place (preferably in the house so that you can watch them at all times). You can also give them tomatos and cut up grapes if they look like they could eat more. Protein is a good thing to give them, too. Although, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to give them bugs, since the bugs might be carrying whatever made them sick in the first place. Also, it may help to clean out their coop, hose it down, and let it dry, just to make sure that whatever your birds have isn't being spread through contact with the same shavings, hay, ect . . .

Hope your birds get through this!

In addition to the diarhhea....Any nasal or eye discharge? Ruffled feathers? Weakness? Weight loss? If so....very possibly viral. You need a veterinarian ASAP. Could be a number of different things & the bird needs to be examined to make a correct diagnosis & the required drugs prescribed.

Tetracyclines...chlortetracycline,oxytetracycline, doxycycline are the antibiotics of choice with extended treatment (2-6 weeks) necessary.

If you can't see a vet, up the dose on the oxytet....or preferably switch to chlortetracycline. It's a shot in the dark trying to treat what you don't know....but I guess better than nothing & you can say you tried.

Hope it works out for you & sorry for your losses.

did you look in the mouth? any yellow plaques?
I would deworm them if you see worms in the stools, but a vet at cornell I spoke with said that anytime they see a sick chicken they will deworm it 1st. I dewormed my sick chicken after I saw worms in her stool even though she was on deaths door because they won't recover well if they have a large worm burden. Besides, If I have to tube feed a chicken, I do not want my efforts going straight to the worms. She did fine, I was afraid it would be the straw that broke the camels back, but it was fine.
There are so many things that it could be, I wish you much luck. now, go look in that birds mouth

Back
Top Bottom