watery poop...lethargic hen

aswartzalso

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
My 14 month old Plymouth rock has been losing weight...now she is laying down a lot. She has pretty clear watery poop. She had coccidia last summer and was treated with corid in her water. My other six hens seem fine as well as a seperate xt flock of ten week olds. The older group free ranges in day. Younger group is caged separate but free range one hour per day....should I treat them all with corrid?

Have you ever de-wormed them? Treated them for the possibility of lice/mites? These possibilities can be extremely debilitating to chickens, resulting in loss of condition and an early death if not recognised and treated with remedial action.

She should be immune to cocci now. Did she improve and gain weight after her bout of coccidiosis last year? Enteritis is something chickens can get from clostridium in the soil, especially after having cocci, worms, or fungal exposure in the past. Many antibiotics such as penicillin, bacitracin, lincomycin, and will treat that. Worms could also be a problem. If she hasn't been wormed with a broad-spectrum dewormer such as fenbendazole (SafeGuard, Panacur,) or Valbazen, then I would suggest you give her 1/2 ml and repeat in 10 days. Place some probiotics and vitamins in her water which can improve intestinal health and immunity. Rooster Booster sells a combo one at TSC. Check her for lice and mites, as mites can cause anemia and sickness. Treating her again for cocci will not hurt her, and it is possible that she has been exposed to a new strain recently. Here is a good link on enteritis: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis

They all did get better and h ad been laying quite a few eggs per week..looked healthy.. I was getting 4 to 6 eggs per day even through the winter...now I'm down to 2 to 4 per day. Some minor molting. My white has a waste r y poo with green tinge...I don't see any lice...what kind of wormer. Cow..goat. is there one just for c chickens? I am calling vet in morning and have a stool sample...I am starting older f lock on corridors today...

Watery poo can be from the heat, but the green color is bile and from eating poorly. SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1/2 ml by mouth, and the equine paste are both good to use. With the paste, a pea sized amount equals 1/2 ml. Valbazen is a sheep and cattle wormer, commonly used in chickens.

It has been in the 90's with high humidity...she is the low girl in the pecking order...going to make her some scrambled eggs....

So it is coffin as confirmed from stool sample.....what is correct dose for corid 20 p e recent soluble powder per gallon? And length of treatment? Can I eat eggs? If not can I cook and feed to chicks? Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom