watery stools

Nov 3, 2022
I have a Road Island Red who is prone to watery stools and I have tried everything. I have treated her with Corid and still she has very watery poo. Don't know what to do. This chicken last year had a latched egg, but I got her through it. Very scary. But she always has a problem with diarrhea and now my Comet has diarrhea and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I give them fresh water with vitamins and electrolytes every morning and I clean there coop everyday; the only thing I don't clean as often is thewere run. Could this be the problem?, and does anyone have a suggestion to stop the watery poos?

But she always has a problem with diarrhea and now my Comet has diarrhea and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I give them fresh water with vitamins and electrolytes every morning and I clean there coop everyday; the only thing I don't clean as often is thewere run. Could this be the problem?, and does anyone have a suggestion to stop the watery poos?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I'll start by saying that if it's always been her norm.. maybe that's just her.

Next I will say that all water drank passes with the poo.. so wateryness is often increased during times of excess water consumption like when it's hot for example.

So, by "tried everything".. have you had a fecal sample checked by a vet to check internal parasite load or ever wormed them? Only large round worm species (and tape worms) may ever be seen in droppings, all others will stay in the intestines and only the microscopic eggs will pass.

NO supplement including vitamins and electrolytes should be given more than 10 days in a row without veterinary supervision. imbalanced minerals/electrolytes.. can actually cause diarrhea, heart attack, or the like. The best form of hydration is plain water.

Treating with Corid and supplementing vitamins at the same time.. cancels each other out.. since it works by mimicking thiamine to slow the growth and starve out the coccidia but does not actively kill anything.

You don't say how old they are, if they're actively laying or molting, and also please describe feed routine including treats and supplements. Do the free range where she might be getting into something or how big is the coop/run for how many birds total? What kind of surface is in your run.. dirt, mulch, sand, etc?

When you say "latched egg" are you talking about a" lash egg" that would be indicative of possible salpingitis.. or something else?

I know I pose more questions than answers.. Hopefully it will still lead to some answers! :fl

Back
Top Bottom