Wattles in waterer

hagoesch

Songster
Mar 11, 2020
Southeastern WI
The water setup for our flock in winter is a three gallon galvanized double-walled bell waterer atop a heated drinker base set outside under a shelter. It works great in cold Wisconsin but I noticed the other day that our roosters dunk the entirety of their wattles in the water reservoir each time they drink. It's not been terribly cold yet so I wasn't overly concerned but with an impending blizzard warning later this week with windchills expected -20 to -30 F, my concern level is ratcheting up. We don't have any nipple waterers to employ and I wonder if anyone has any ideas about what I could put into the reservoir to reduce the space into which they can get in... or an alternative to prevent them dunking their wattles so completely and thus inviting frostbite. Thanks!

My Marans rooster does the same thing! It is really cold here I have been using heated water buckets for all of my chickens and whenever he drings his wattles dip down in the water. 🥶 I really doesn't seem to effect him though so I dont plan to change it unless he gets frostbite or something but for now it has been fine.

My Marans rooster does the same thing! It is really cold here I have been using heated water buckets for all of my chickens and whenever he drings his wattles dip down in the water. 🥶 I really doesn't seem to effect him though so I dont plan to change it unless he gets frostbite or something but for now it has been fine.
Alright then! Thanks for sharing your encouraging experience, @The birb king. Stay warm!

My rooster got a bad case of frost bite on his comb and wattles both from drinking out of open bucket of water in freezing cold temperatures.Their regular waterers with a screw on base don't get their wattles and comb wet.The wind in the run contributed to it as well.

I feel like if you tried to do like a nipple waterer in the winter it would just freeze.
There are ones with heated bases built in. I’ve used one successfully for two winters now, and it does keep wattles drier. I’m having to rethink things this year as I have a chick with a hooked beak that can’t use the nipple waterer well. I still have the nipple waterer out, and a lot of the flock uses it, especially first thing in the morning, since I’ve been having to thaw the regular waterer out for the hooked beak chick. I’m not loving it and need to look into something that will keep the regular one from freezing.

My rooster got a bad case of frost bite on his comb and wattles both from drinking out of open bucket of water in freezing cold temperatures.Their regular waterers with a screw on base don't get their wattles and comb wet.The wind in the run contributed to it as well.
Interesting. I'll have to research that, thanks @ChickensComeHome2Roost!

There are ones with heated bases built in. I’ve used one successfully for two winters now, and it does keep wattles drier. I’m having to rethink things this year as I have a chick with a hooked beak that can’t use the nipple waterer well. I still have the nipple waterer out, and a lot of the flock uses it, especially first thing in the morning, since I’ve been having to thaw the regular waterer out for the hooked beak chick. I’m not loving it and need to look into something that will keep the regular one from freezing.

Back
Top Bottom