Ways to cut protein percentage down in feed for ducklings -

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
So the feed I'm using is starter, made for" ducklings & poultry" - it has 24% protein. I'm cutting with steam-rolled oats ground up in my food processor (per Metzer's calculator on their site, which is awesome!).

My ducklings are...9 days old today. The store had regular duck feed (16% protein) on sale - they are "mini pellets" so I went ahead & got a bag, thinking they may be small enough for me to mix in with the starter rather than using the oats, and that it would be a good seguae (sp?) into the next level of feed for them.

What say you?

Last edited:
Well, I went ahead & mixed up a small batch of the starter and mini pellets at a 1:1 ratio. Watched them eating closely, and no one had issues, so I think we're good to go.
smile.png

Wynette, rolled oats, waterfowl pellets both work equally when mixing to lower the protein. I have noticed that in 1-3 weeks the starter is fine. 3 weeks and up is when the protien needs cut.

You can also finely chop grass (not chemically treated) and dark greens like kale for them. We have also offered bits of melon, peas and worms too if found while gardening. By day3-4 we offer the other "treats/food sources" and sprinkle a tiny amount of chick grit into their standard feed.

Just remember little bodies, little amounts and base the size of the treat/fresh food on their size to ease of eatting.

Welcome duck ownership

Great - thanks so much! I was reading in one of my duck books that by 2-3 weeks, the protein needs to be cut. It's hard to imagine as they are still featherless! With chicks, you can leave them on starter until they lay, so this is completely different. I looked up the nutrition section in a duck book like 4 times to re-read it to be sure I was reading it correctly!

I feed Purina Flock Raiser now for everyone. 20% protein but for me to get anything special, I have a 2 hour drive each way to get to TSC. My ducks, ducklings and chickens all eat it with no ill effects. It is just much easier for me.

I wanted to get a bit more info on this subject. My Ducklings and Goslings are being brooded together. They will be 3 weeks on May 7th. They are on Flock Raiser free choice. I started last week putting them on grass for a few hours in the afternoon with the feed still available. I was going to pick up some rolled oats this weekend to start supplementing to their feed. Please confirm ration. Should I be worried about it getting to diluted? ( not enough main feed, Flock Raiser)

I wanted to get a bit more info on this subject. My Ducklings and Goslings are being brooded together. They will be 3 weeks on May 7th. They are on Flock Raiser free choice. I started last week putting them on grass for a few hours in the afternoon with the feed still available. I was going to pick up some rolled oats this weekend to start supplementing to their feed. Please confirm ration. Should I be worried about it getting to diluted? ( not enough main feed, Flock Raiser)
Hi there! I've still quite new with waterfowl (have years of chicken experience, though). From what I have found, 16% if optimum for protein, although jdywntr above your post indicates no issues with feeding 20%. If you go the metzer farms website, there is a feed calculator & lots of good info. that should help you make a sound decision. This page shows nutritional requirements: http://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?CustID=861454

and here is the feed calculator, which is priceless: http://www.metzerfarms.com/FeedConversion.cfm?CustID=861454

BEST of luck!

Back
Top Bottom