We are close!!

pheasntpro

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 22, 2014
Well I believe we are down to one meeting on getting this done for allowing some chickens. July 8th is the meeting and it's going to be a public meeting so I hope we have enough on our side to convince the city it will be good to have a few chickens. I'm asking in advance for any advise that we could use to win this!! Two people on the board have issues with the smell and predators but we have a few good points on that but would like to know anything that could just push it over the top! Thanks again to all.... Can't wait for this to be done and we don't have to hide the chickens any longer.

Work hard to get city council members to visit actual backyard chicken coops, even if you have to drive them there. That will show them that they don't stink and then they will know what they are voting on.
Contact all local media and invite them to the coop visits and the meeting.
Get as many of your neighbors and local chicken advocates to the meeting as possible.
You need a realtor that will attest that a chicken coop doesn't affect property values.
Whether people know it or not, the predators are already there. Chickens don't create predators.

sorry that I don't have any advice, but I hope u win and your city allows chickens
fl.gif

Don't they have zoning regulations that prevents "smells"? If someone is not keeping their coop up and they get enough complaints, let those irresponsible persons be cited and fined. That regulation (if present) would be a built in remedy for "smell". As said before, everywhere has predators. If they are truly concerned regarding predators, ask them if they intend on better regulating home and commercial trash storage units. Have you ever seen a raccoon scrambling away from a trash can that was not adequately secured or designed to be secured? Bobcats aren't a threat to humans. Cougars (if in your area) are one of the lower occurrence predators of chickens and no evidence suggest they seek them out when a more filling meal would be a deer. Bear (if in your area) will sooner raid trash cans than your coop. Coyotes generally have an ample supply of rabbits, rodents and cats and generally steer clear of a well built coop. Other predators are no concern to people. I am surprised they didn't mention noise. Ask them if they would sooner deprive you of a healthier more nutritious alternative for unfounded concerns of predators. Ask them if they would rather support the inhuman treatment of mass production egg farm chickens just because they don't know if chickens will smell or not. Ask them if they support the out of state or out of local area grocery stores and egg farmers or the local feed store? You will more than likely spend more money on the local economy on your own chickens than you would buy store bought eggs. You will also run a higher risk of foodborne illness all because of unfounded concerns. By having local chickens, you keep more money in your local economy and foster more community centric relations.

Good luck!

Don't they have zoning regulations that prevents "smells"? If someone is not keeping their coop up and they get enough complaints, let those irresponsible persons be cited and fined. That regulation (if present) would be a built in remedy for "smell". As said before, everywhere has predators. If they are truly concerned regarding predators, ask them if they intend on better regulating home and commercial trash storage units. Have you ever seen a raccoon scrambling away from a trash can that was not adequately secured or designed to be secured? Bobcats aren't a threat to humans. Cougars (if in your area) are one of the lower occurrence predators of chickens and no evidence suggest they seek them out when a more filling meal would be a deer. Bear (if in your area) will sooner raid trash cans than your coop. Coyotes generally have an ample supply of rabbits, rodents and cats and generally steer clear of a well built coop. Other predators are no concern to people. I am surprised they didn't mention noise. Ask them if they would sooner deprive you of a healthier more nutritious alternative for unfounded concerns of predators. Ask them if they would rather support the inhuman treatment of mass production egg farm chickens just because they don't know if chickens will smell or not. Ask them if they support the out of state or out of local area grocery stores and egg farmers or the local feed store? You will more than likely spend more money on the local economy on your own chickens than you would buy store bought eggs. You will also run a higher risk of foodborne illness all because of unfounded concerns. By having local chickens, you keep more money in your local economy and foster more community centric relations.

Good luck!

Probably not a zoning regulation, but ordinances relating to health and/or nuisances usually cover any potential issues.

Back
Top Bottom