We filled the run with sand today-my chickens are very afraid!

I have sand in the coop and the run, but haven't had any problems. I think the idea of adding a BUNCH of weeds, grass clippings, leaves, even straw.... anything green on top of the sand is your best bet. It's what they're used to. Then, catch a few of them and place them gently on the green stuff. They'll be walking on the sand and getting used to it by accident. If even one of them likes it, the others will probably follow suit. Maybe some of your neighbors can donate grass clippings and weeds if your lawn is too short too cut. I hope you'll find a solution soon!

Thanks everybody! I think I will put a bunch of grass on top of the sand-that sounds like it will help them get use to it. I will also check out the Class 1 sand as well. We do still need to add some more sand -I think it's only about 3 inches deep now. I just want to be able to scoop it easily and keep it from smelling. I did sprinkle some Food Grade DE on it too. We will extend the roof of the coop this coming weekend so that it will also cover the run. I have a beach towel on top now so the run is 95% shaded and they can always go under the coop for shade-if they would just come out!!!

Here are six chickens trying desperately to avoid having to step on scary sand!
hmm.png

90450_p1020133.jpg

And two more staying off of the terrifying stuff!
roll.png

90450_p1020129.jpg

?????????? Maybe tomorrow-with the grass sprinkled on the sand-THEY WILL BE BRAVE CHICKENS!
tongue.png
???????????

Quote:
As to the pine bark nuggets or chips.......mine are flat round smooth pieces of pine bark. If this is what you mean, I would not put it in the pen. It is too difficult to spot the poop in it and also you wind up scooping up a lot of the chips with the poop. I had it under my trees and when I got my coop, some of it was in the pen and I do not like it. My grass is gone, gone, gone, and I do not like the plain dirt. .

I agree with you on being difficult to clean the poop from pine bark. The only time I cleaned my run was when I had hay on the ground. I use to bag all the hay once a month and replace it with clean hay. With the pine bark I don't clean the run (it‘s self cleaning). The poop gets hidden underneath the bark and in time it washes in the ground while the surface remains clean. I feed my chickens with grain and vegetables/fruits leftover and that makes a HUGE difference in the smell of the poop versus to the pellets. I don't know why, but it does. Perhaps, in my case I can get away with the pine bark nuggets because it's a such a large area for them to poop (for only few bantams) and there is never to much of it in one spot. I have a sitting area inside the run where I drink my coffee every morning watching the girls, and I couldn't do that if there was any smell.
67374_chicken_run_291.jpg

67374_chicken_run_290.jpg

67374_chicken_run_227.jpg

67374_chicken_run_255.jpg

67374_chicken_run_225.jpg

As for grass try a covered raise bed with a net on the top, they can only eat what they can reach without killing all the grass.
67374_chicken_run_090.jpg

67374_chicken_run_265.jpg

67374_chicken_run_258.jpg

For a smaller run, you can try to put some hay on top of your sand. It can be easily raked and bagged and it also keeps the girls entertain looking for seeds.

ps: FarmerinKC your hens are just gorgeous
love.gif

Last edited:
Oh my, Arianna-your chickens live in chicken heaven! Absolutely beautiful! Safe and sound and lots of choices as to where they want to wander. I really enjoyed your pictures-at some point I may try making a little raised bed area with the netting on top-we don't have a huge yard, but that would be something I could do. Thank you for sharing the pictures of your beautiful place. You have lovely chickens as well!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom